Pages

Saturday 31 August 2013

On school, shelter and sushi

Yesterday's night out with Sand and Co. was a lot of fun. We had some dinner, hung out at an outdoor party and had a pretty cool time. It was architecture related, and even though I was a little nervous before going, I ended up having a lot of fun with my friends and I wasn't all that freaked out about the architecture bit either. I was thinking about it when passing my school with Yanyan one of his last days - I wasn't nearly as stressed out as I'd been before. I guess things are starting to come together for me.

Hemingway's leaving for a bachelor party weekend trip to Budapest today, and I don't think he got so much sleep last night as we came home around midnight, and Sand later called me at 4.30 looking for a place to sleep after having scary memory gaps. About 15 minutes later the Puppy called with a similar problem, having had a serious nosebleed and being chilled and freaking out. They joked this morning that this place is a bit like an animal sanctuary for strays, and while I'm happy to give my friends some couch space when they're in need, I'd rather they not call me about it at 4 a.m. when Hemingway has to get up around 6. I mean, I'm not happy to be woken at any time really.



This whole job applying thing is pretty scary by the way. I've been calling a Japanese restaurant for a waitress job, and so far things seem to be going swimmingly, but I'm nervous as fuck. My hands literally shake when I'm holding the phone. I managed to score an in-store interview for Tuesday, but in my nervousness I didn't think to ask twice about what location the owner wanted me to go to as her Japanese accent was kinda thick. I think I know, but I should call to confirm just in case, closer to the date. I'm psyched though, I really really want this job. Well, any job to be honest.

Me on Tuesday.
The only thing that I find a little meh about it all is that it's a six month position - meaning that I'll be stuck in Stockholm until at least February before I can go to Japan, setting me back from my original goal of being out of this place before the end of the year. Then again, I'm penniless now, and if I work for six months I'll be in a far better position to actually move, having actual money and hopefully not needing to get myself into debt about it. I don't know, I tell myself that six months isn't that long, and that school years in Japan start in April, and I just hope that it'll work itself out. Clearly these things take some time. Also, if I get the job, I could hopefully use the position to practice my language skills before leaving. I'm kinda freaking out a little, but it could be great.

Another thing I'm kinda worried about is the fact that this place has been kinda shredded online, with an average score of like 2-3/5, which makes me wonder what kind of place it really is. I mean, generally I'm far more comfortable with a sushi place run by Japanese people as this one is, but I'm a little concerned that I may be stuck for six months working a mediocre place with bad fish. I want to be able to tell people to come check out my workplace.

Ah well. I can always hope that they'll let me play Sakanaction while I'm working.

No comments:

Post a Comment