Pages

Friday 30 August 2013

On watching Project Runway obsessively, S12E6

"The wicked witch with the bad hair is gone, at least that's something," Pony said as we sat down to watch a long overdue episode of Project Runway. It was another episode filled with nausea-inducing product placement, but skipping past their whole 'glamping' (glamorous camping) trip thing was easy enough, so we actually kinda enjoyed the experience for once. Not much was really horribly bad, and it seems like some time away from the workroom refreshed the designers enough to get them to produce something with a bit of heart to it again.

Fuck yeah, drop-crotch pants.
Now this photographs kinda awkwardly, but both Pony and I loved it on the runway. I think we're both warming up to Alexandria a bit more in general - an introverted hardworking Swede with a cool design sense. They gave her the 'redemption'-cut in editing, as her team was terrible last week, but I don't think it was a reflection of her ability as a designer. It was awesome to see Ken's bitchy face when she was on the top and he was on the bottom though. "I don't want be sucked into this big toilet of drama," she said, and she managed wonderfully. The jacket is awesome and Pony and I are both huge fans of drop-crotch pants, so this was a sure win in our book even before it was pronounced on the runway.



Emo nightgown.
Well-made, pretty tasteful and with excellent lettering - I can't really objectively rant on Jeremy's performance this week. All I can say is that I don't really like it. I think the panels are weird and the dress is kinda boring, and while Pony likes how adorably happy he is all the time, it's beginning to grate on my nerves. It's not bad by a long shot, but I'm not sure I'd actually want to wear it or anything. The whole thing is just a bit too weepy for my taste. Then again, I don't actually like love letters all that much either. The blatant show of emotion makes me a wee bit uneasy.

The fit is to die for.
Alexander did a good job this week in keeping it tasteful and simplistic. I mean,it's elegant without being drag-y, which has been Alexander's problem lately. We're not sold on the leather train, but this dress is so well-made in general that we're not making that big of a fuss about it.

Dom said water, but all we could see was a tree trunk.
Pony and I both pegged Dom as pretty but boring this week, although if I had the choice I'd stick her up on the top three instead of Jeremy. This dress had so many more interesting things going for it than his did, especially in the neck. I just wish Dom would quit the ridiculous floppy-bun-on-the-top-of-her-head-look (as opposed to the model's sleek version that looks nice). After three years at Architecture school, I'm way over it as a hairstyle as every single girl on campus sports it. It's just a hot mess.



The bottom's interesting but the top is just badly made.
Oh my god, Helen, could you be any more pretentious? "I was inspired by a dead moth on the bathroom sink." Barf. It looked a whole lot more interesting when she was running around the workroom with it as a cape. This pretty much looks like every other look she's ever made, only with a bodice with a slightly better fit, and a ripped off version of pretty much every other designer that's been using the frayed technique, not to mention Christopher Palu from season 10 (who kept beating that horse until it was long dead). The hair's good though, I'll give her that. I don't think I'll ever understand what's up with those shoes though. Yuck.

Pregnant cheerleader poof?
I just don't know with Kate. It's not offensively bad, but it's sure as hell not good either. The shape of it is just plain weird. The shoes are also gross. Gross gross gross.

Not offensive at least, thank fuck.
Miranda manipulated the top in the same way as she did in episode two, and the colours of the petals are disturbing to say the least, but it wasn't an offensive dress. "It's not fucking ugly," Pony said with a shrug when it came out. "Yeah, but it's still ugly though," I retorted, and we were pretty happy with that as a collective review.

Pony and I didn't get the hate on Bradon's textile manipulation, but that being said, this dress is a complete train wreck. And excuse me, but how the hell was this inspired by moss if it's fucking blue?

Oh Christmas tree, oh Christmas tree...
Ken's flannel hipster bullshit was just really ugly. "It's like G says sometimes - he's like a penis," Pony said, "but not in the good way." Watching him trying to camp, sorry, glamp was just ridiculous. How much of a queen can one man be? Really? And the styling is some 80's level of complete awfulness that's just impossible to get over. I'm horrified at that hair.

And this from a girl who's thing, supposedly, is tailoring.
"It looks like she peed herself," Pony said when Karen started dying her dress. Although she ended up liking it better when it was done, I still thought it looked boring, kinda like a bed sheet held up with a leather belt. It's way done and bad in so many ways. Pairing it with cowboy boots was just the most cray-cray thing. Karen's had her chances, now she needs to go.

So bad it's provoking.
"Crotch fur!" Pony exclaimed when seeing this monstrosity. "Foaming vagina!" said Nina Garcia. In any case, it was a complete disaster, and for Tim to use his Tim Gunn save, it was just a nightmare. I mean, Justin pretty much gets to stay for being a nice guy. Nothing he's done has been remarkable in any way, and he's already been in the bottom once, so to me Tim Gunn just threw all professionalism out the window. All the other judges were already condescendingly sweet to him all the time, but that save could've been used for something useful. It's provoking.

This dress is nigh-on offensive in so many ways. The top is really badly sewn together, the glue lace isn't working the way he wanted it to at all, and the layering of the chiffon in the skirt is awkward at best. Justin should've gone home, sweet demeanor or not. All Pony and I could say about it was that he, to quote Tim, uses this chance very thoughtfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment