Pages

Thursday 1 August 2013

On naive people and thunderstorms

Oh god, I've found the Holy Grail of depressing television - Catfish: The TV show. Desperate people falling for people they've never even skyped with, let alone met, and then having their expectations totally obliterated by this film crew who investigate the online crush and and then arrange a meeting. So. Much. Awkward. The people being fooled are so amazingly naive, they'll make excuses for anything. "Well never mind he sounds like he's 14 over the phone, I know he's the gorgeous model doctor he says he is online!"

 I mean, I've been told I'm a bit of a cynic, but I'd approach anything like this with a (maybe less than) healthy dose of skepticism. I feel a little bad for these people who just want their relationship to be true so much that they're completely oblivious to everything that sounds weird or odd. How desperate for love are they?


As someone who's an avid fan of online friendships and meeting people online, the people I talk to a lot and are actually friends with, I've either video chatted with or met in person. Acquaintances, obviously, I don't know as much about, but I wouldn't even think of developing any deeper friendship connection without knowing if the person's even real or not. It's a bit messed up.

The weather's still kinda crappy, but there was a thunderstorm tonight, and I love that. There's just something that puts me in such a cozy mood sitting around, listening to the rumble. It makes me want to curl up somewhere with a big cup of tea or something. I've figured that I kinda like the fall, and I'm beginning to think it might be my new favourite season. At least early fall, when the leaves are still on the trees but yellow and red, and you wear cute sweaters and thick socks, buy new boots and have an excuse to wear a huge scarf and cuddle people because it's cold. I've always found spring more hard to bear than fall for some reason. I like the cozy darkness and the drizzling rain.

It's almost sacrilegious to like the fall when you live in Sweden. Everyone hates it, and complains about seasonal depression and stuff. People worship summer here, because it's so damn short. Me, I like the crisp air and the way that things smell after rain. Also fall is kinda linked to new beginnings in my world. I was thinking about how many years I've been in an educational system, and if you ignore a term between high school and university when I didn't do much of anything, I've been in some form of educational system for 20 years straight (that's counting from Kindergarten. I'm not that fucking old). It's like you get kinda institutionalized and forget what the 'real world' is like after a while. I mean, I've worked extra, but holding down a job where you don't have required reading, assignments or homework, and where you get paid a salary that you can actually live on without having to thrift all the fucking time, that just sounds amazingly foreign.

Then again, this fall will be as much of a fresh start for me as any fall school start ever was, seeing as it'll be me hopefully having a part-time job here, while securing a teaching position in Japan after having gotten my diploma and the TEFL certificate. It's what I've worked for so long, and I'm both really excited and apprehensive about it. It's all starting now.

No comments:

Post a Comment