Pages

Friday 23 August 2013

On making friends and going places

"Why do you like him so much?" Hemingway asked this morning in reference to his friend (who from now on shall be known as Yanyan, because he's made himself worthy of a blog codename), cementing my suspicion that he's feeling legitly confused about it. In his world, Yanyan is extravagant and childish, someone who's wasteful with money and boy crazy, which all in all is pretty opposite of Hemingway (except for being childish, but I don't think he'd ever admit to that). I think he was expecting that I'd take care of Yanyan as a favor, putting up with his antics rather than laughing about them and encouraging it.

I guess it's because I see Yanyan as being vibrant and full of life. He's very open, and it's been really easy to connect to him, simply because I feel that it's a lot like what you see is what you get. He brings out the goofball in me, and sometimes that can make me come across as be a bit mean, but I feel comfortable in my own skin. Not that I don't feel comfortable being myself around Hemingway, because I do, but because I believe that everyone's kinda different depending on who they're with. "What about my other friends?" Hemingway demanded. "Do you like them too?" and sure, I don't dislike them, but you don't know someone the same way after meeting once or twice in a group setting as you do when you spend almost 24 hours a day together for a week.

...being fierce.


I've got exciting news that I haven't told you guys though - Hemingway's taking me to Berlin with Yanyan. Yanyan left this morning and we're joining tomorrow evening. I'm really excited - I haven't been to Berlin since I was 16 when I spent a rainy November weekend there with my parents, and I've been longing to see something new. Obviously with the job situation being what it's been, I'm completely broke, but Hemingway didn't seem to think that was a legit excuse and promptly paid for everything.

Again, I'm super excited and really looking forward to everything, but money's a touchy subject to me. I don't like being a financial burden, and while I don't think Hemingway sees it that way, I hate feeling like I owe anyone anything. "You can ask me for anything you want," Hemingway told me, but I'm embarrassed at my inability to take care of myself. I want to make my own money and personally be responsible for keeping myself alive. While I temporarily can't, I'm of course eternally grateful to Hemingway for being there to not only help out with immediate needs, but also treat me to something so awesome as a Berlin trip. He really is a sweetheart when it comes to taking care of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment