Pages

Friday 18 October 2013

On some kids being less terrible than others and k-pop related sadness

What's the deal with everyone selling defective phones? Swedish Ebay site Tradera's phone page is like 90% items that are broken or fucked in some way or another. "The screen's cracked, the phone doesn't charge and it has some water damage. Easily fixable!" and you just want to curb stomp the seller for wasting my time. I had what I thought would be a quick deal happening on another phone, but the seller just kinda dropped off the face of the earth. How hard is it to just answer emails when you're trying to get a deal happening? I'm trying to give you money here, cut me some slack.



Today I found out for sure that if I ever decide to have kids, I'll be able to love them like normal people love children, something I've somewhere deep in my heart doubted I'd have the capacity for for years, as I'm so totally uninterested and to a certain aspect grossed out by kids. I learned this from spending the day before work with my brother's four year old daughter, who I've known that I liked for a long time, but today found that I love with the strength of a thousand suns. Obviously I'm pretty fond of my other nieces and nephews too, but there's just something special about that kid.

We kinda look like Satsuki and Mei when together as well.
I imagined boredom and awkwardness, and instead I had an amazing time drawing, baking and watching Tonari no Totoro. I also got about a million snuggles out of it. My niece is just like me in that she's really reserved and introverted, but with people she's comfortable with she's super affectionate. I've always made it my point to respect that. If she doesn't want to hug me, I won't ask for it. If she doesn't want me to look at her, I won't. If she doesn't want to go to the movies like we'd first planned, I'm not going to force her. In return, she's the sweetest kid I know. Not even her grandparents get the kind of attention I get from her. While waiting for the cake to finish baking, she brought me a book to read to her. She started out sitting by my side, and ended up slithering into my lap, caressing my hair with her little grubby child fingers. Watching Totoro together was the same - her tiny self pressing against me while patting my arm, holding my hand and quietly singing along in the music, and I found myself enjoying it so much that I surprised myself. It was like being in a Yotsubato! comic, with my niece being just as adorable as Yotsuba. Maybe that's what four year olds are like, generally. Maybe I'm just biased because I see so many similarities with my own personality - shy and cautious with most, affectionate and loving with those few chosen ones.


So yeah, the fuzzy heart-warming stuff is over. Here comes the blow. I was saddened yesterday to learn about Dongho from U-KISS is dropping out of the band due to health related issues. He's my favourite maknae for sure, and now I feel sad. I called Pony about it as she's one of few people who'd understand, and she obviously did, because k-pop friends share soul pain. Because how can we not feel like we'll miss this terribly?



I do agree with Pony in her statement that it's rather refreshing that someone goes "You know what, I don't want to be a celebrity anymore. It doesn't suit me.", but it's sad that we're missing out on our favourite pint-sized bad-ass. Take care of yourself, Dongho. We'll miss you.

Very...
...very...
...very...
...very...
...much.
You're just too fucking cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment