Pages

Sunday 20 October 2013

On art and dreams of slouchiness


Today was the fall exhibition at Edsviks Konsthall, a gallery not too far from where I live. What's so special about that? Well, G had one of his sculptures featured, and it was beautiful. What's even more impressive is how many other beautiful works were featured, and how good the general quality of the exhibition was. I walked around going 'ooh' at a lot of things, and if I had 100 000 SEK just hanging around somewhere, I'd buy me some art. I feel really lucky to get to live around art all the time, with G's sculptures everywhere in the apartment, and I forget that not everyone has an amazing gallery in their living room at times. It really makes me happy to see G get recognized for his work though, and I hope there will be many more gallery visits to come. He works so hard, and he's so talented (as you can see here), and I was just so glad to see it pay off in how happy he was at the gallery. Anywho, it was a pleasant way to spend part of the afternoon. If you're in the area, I recommend it.


Next on my list of good things that happened today was that I chased down the seller of the phone, went out into the far-off suburbs and bought the damn thing. I've missed having a phone that's not a Blackberry. Blackberry sucks, and not in the good way. I'm grateful to Hemingway for lending me a phone anyways, so that there at least was some mode of communication going on between me and the rest of the world, but I'm so happy to be back on Team Smartphone. Just trying to find my way to the seller's house without Google Maps was nerve-wracking for someone whose sense of direction is as awful as mine. The only thing that kinda sucks about it is that I have very few numbers at all anymore. I'm going to have to chase everyone down and make them give them to me to avoid this whole Major Tom vibe I've got going on.



Today was Hemingway's parents' last day in Sweden, so I headed over to Hemingway's place to have dinner together. As always things felt a bit awkward, what with both his mom and I being introverts and the three of them commenting on things in Cantonese, making me wonder if I'm doing something weird and inappropriate, and there wasn't a huge amount of flowing conversation going on, but I kinda felt that it was okay anyway. It was nice meeting them, even though I felt stiff and uptight the entire time. They're nice people, all things considered, and I quite like them. It's nice to not have to act pleasant and well-mannered all the time anymore though. I want to watch TV on the couch in my underwear and eat ice cream straight from the tub.


Tomorrow's going to be a totally chill rest day. I planned for today to be like that, but life decided to throw a whole bunch of fun activities my way, so there was no saying no to it. It's been like that a lot recently, but I think I'm beginning to learn to say no. I turned down a party at O's place last night for instance, mostly because I was feeling a headache coming on and really didn't want to hang out with others, like at all. I should make sure to take more alone time though. Since I see people every single day at work, there's a bit too much going on in my head at the same time sometimes, and I need to sit alone on my bed wrapped in a big duvet and just be sloth-like. It is, after all, the best way to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment