Pages

Sunday 15 September 2013

On unexpected friendships and being mistaken for a boy

My attempt at girl love yesterday turned out far better than I thought it would when I ended up having a pretty nice time with the Swedish girl. She even said that she enjoyed working with me and that it was like I'd worked there forever, so I feel accepted. Whenever I caught myself freaking out I managed to calm myself down and remind myself that it was just work, the same work I do every day, and that just because another person is there doing the exact same amount of work as I am, it doesn't change a thing. And you know what, it worked out just fine, and I ended up feeling really good about stuff.

My face when I make friends with the Swedish girl unexpectedly.



"Wait, that's not what I meant! I wasn't fishing for a play-date! Nooo!"
When I'd just started my shift, anime boy Yohei was going home, and to be nice and make conversation I asked him if he had any plans for the weekend. "Why, do you want to hang out? I might have some time! Do you use facebook? I'll find you and add you on facebook!" and I was like "Wait... what just happened?". I mean, obviously he seemed to not mind being friends, as he seemed to jump to that conclusion faster than I could blink and then added me the very same day like he said he would, but I always feel surprised when people want to be friends with me. It's like I'm sure everyone dislikes me until they prove very clearly that they don't. I'm happy about this development though, as it gives me a chance to speak more Japanese and about casual stuff, not just work, and anime boy seems like a really nice guy. I really want to be friends.


Speaking of friends, I finally got some time to spend with Pony today, which was much needed. She's around the apartment every evening, but since I'm at work I never see her. Not that I see G either, since he's either in the workshop or at work, but it was nice to just be able to hang out and be cuddly. I miss her a lot now that she's moved, so it's nice to get to spend some quality time together, watching Project Runway and just generally getting some much needed girl time in there.

Speaking of girl time, the other day I had lunch with Hemingway near his office, and we passed one of his coworkers who later asked Hemingway over the office messenger chat if he was dating a guy. "Uh, no, that was my girlfriend." I never really know how to react when I'm mistaken for a boy. It happens more than you'd imagine, probably because I'm thin and tall and my hair is short. Generally it's when I'm not wearing makeup either, so there's that. I find it kinda hilarious, and at the same time not very surprising, as most of my style icons are men.

Because menswear is amazing and boys are all kinds of angular.
Androgyny is so much fun. Hemingway and I went by my sister K's place today to celebrate Baby Bighead's birthday before my parents left for Greece, and he'd dressed me up in one of his shirts, commenting on how much I looked like a boy. What can I say, I'd make a fabulous gay man and Hemingway and I make a cute gay couple.


Pony: "The best part about this is that you look both like a gay man and a gay woman at once."

No comments:

Post a Comment