Pages

Thursday 12 September 2013

On dreams of interiors incompatible with my personality


I woke up this morning and threw myself straight into the boring TEFL-task I'd been dreading completing for the longest time. I've been so slow with everything TEFL-related these past few weeks, really since Yanyan came to Stockholm. He asked me the other day how my Japanese job search was going, and I immediately felt guilty for not having done more. A good thing about working for a bit, apart from making money, is that now T has made plans to come visit me in December, but it feels a little like that's where the perks end and I get disappointed at myself for not sticking to my original time plan. Obviously moving to another country is a big deal and it takes far more work than I imagined in the beginning, but I still feel a little sad that I'll be unable to keep the promise I made to myself about being out of the country at the end of the year.




Still, there's something distinctly dreamy about thinking about moving to Japan in the spring, when everything is at its most beautiful. Spring is one of those fresh start times, and if I have a bit of capital to back it up, then I'll be all the better off and far more likely to be able to secure the dream Muji-furnished apartment in different shades of grey, natural woods, white and small splashes of strong accentuating colours that I've been imagining since I first started planning moving.



Mm, rationality.
Obviously these rooms may all be unattainable dreams, seeing as I'm probably the messiest person in the world and would be completely incapable of not littering the areas with an ocean of clothes, books or whatever. I'd like to think that I'd try though, that the Muji gods would grant me their powers of Japanese efficiency and I'd be left with a beautiful tiny apartment worthy of lifestyle magazine spreads by being effortlessly minimalistic.

Yesterday I saw what Karate Husband's wife meant by him being kinda strict and, well, karate master like. The busboy left a cart with plates on it out a little too long and one of the girls working in the kitchen went to get it. Karate Husband declared outrage over the fact that a girl had to take care of something so heavy, pulling it himself back into the kitchen and giving the busboy a piece of his mind. "Why the hell aren't you doing your job? Why is she doing your job? Why do you think we even have boys here? It's so that the girls don't have to do the heavy stuff! Do your job!" and all the time I was hiding in the background listening in, going "Ooooh shit, someone's in trouble!" mentally, hoping that I never incur Karate Husband wrath. I'm much more happy getting the very kind and jokey side of Karate Husband, who speaks well of me to his friends when they come to visit and is generally a really great guy. I felt kinda sorry for the busboy though, as the cart of plates wasn't that bad, so I helped him out a bit extra after Karate Husband left. It's good to make friends with co-workers, it might prove useful some day. Yay tactics!

No comments:

Post a Comment