Pages

Wednesday 18 September 2013

On waiting and friend-making

I'm now officially signed at my work, with a contract that runs until March 2nd. I came home last night and Pony asked me how I felt about it. I don't know, honestly. On one hand I feel massively disappointed in the fact that I won't be going to Japan yet for a while, yet on the other hand I'm acutely aware that I'm broke and unprepared for it. Maybe this extra time will help me save. I mean, I'm already saving all my tips in a secret location, watching them grow every day but I need more, obviously.




And I like work. I keep saying it, like it's some sort of mantra that I need to convince myself of, but I really do. I'd much rather be working, making some dough in anticipation for future events than say finish another year of school right now, even though it bums me out a little that if I had the energy and the motivation (and I was sure I wouldn't break down and cry on day one), I could be a year closer to the final Masters degree. I had a dream about school in which one of my teachers sat me down and told me he was worried that I'd give up on it. But whatever. I can't do architecture right now with how burned out I was this spring, and anyways, this is more important to me. I've waited and wanted to go to Japan since I was twelve, so what's another few months when comparing it to 50% of my total life span so far?

Beginning to get Sirius-ly sick of it though.
The situation sucks, but I'm trying my hardest to make the most out of it. One thing that's making it all extra bearable is that T is coming to visit Sweden this winter, and will probably end up celebrating Christmas here. To say that I'm happy about it is an understatement. He's one of my best friends, and I haven't seen him since O and I went to Japan last summer, so spending some time together after so long of just Skype-ing will be so much fun! Almost as much fun as flying Dumbo fun, I'm sure.

Quite possibly my favourite picture of anything, ever, of all time.
Speaking of friends, my quest to forcibly make people at work my friends has just been intensified since I noticed (through him speaking another language to the kitchen staff, and then a whole lotta facebook stalking) that cranky samurai Bata might in fact not be Japanese at all, but Mongolian, which is just all kinds of ass-kickingly awesome. So far my attempts seem to have not yielded all too many results, more than "Hello" and "You good?" and "Bye", and yesterday when I tried the more casual small-talk route of "Wow, it really is fall now isn't it" was just met with a stare and the faintest of smiles. I seem to have my work cut out for me with this one. At least anime boy Yohei answers all my comments with all the unbridled enthusiasm I want from people. I will persevere though. I will make friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment