Pages

Friday 12 April 2013

On being sick of society being a douche

Blog.com is a fucking joke. Their servers are down pretty much constantly, and there's a new error message almost every day. I'm seriously considering switching platforms, because this is just ridiculous.

Speaking of ridiculous, there's been so many ridiculously sexist things in the Swedish media lately that just tire me out to no end. First there was an issue of a really sexist song sung at student parties about someone buying a hooker and killing her(!), because "if you've fucked her once you can do what you want with her" and "that's what happens when you suck dick". I was just lost for words. Even more so when the boyfriend of one of my oldest friends defended the song on facebook, complaining about 'political correctness' and how all the butt-hurt was getting out of hand. Obviously I can't go without fighting it, pointless as it may seem, but I just can't leave such idiocy uncontested. Then I found out about a state-sponsored public service channel in Denmark sending a show featuring two overweight middle-aged men sitting in a dark room, scrutinizing and commenting on a naked woman standing in front of them. I mean, in 2013. On public fucking service. How can people say that this isn't sexism? Aren't we watching the same show?

Of course this doesn't lead anywhere and I just end up angry and upset for the rest of the day. This isn't the song I was referring to by the way, I just like the Yeah yeah yeahs and the video feels pretty relevant.



Why can't we award everyone the same right to do whatever the hell they want with their bodies without persecution? Why are women constantly punished for the same things no-one raises an eyebrow for when men do? Why is it OK to sing about killing a woman who's idea of a moral life doesn't match up to yours? Fucking hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment