Pages

Saturday 6 April 2013

On the universal language of fashion - Project Runway Korea S1E6

Why oh why does my body crave chocolate after I've been out for a run? Isn't it the most counter-productive thing in the history of mankind? Y told me it means that my body wants energy, but I'm not hungry per se, I just want delicious dark chocolate with sea salt in it. That being said, one of the reasons I started running again was to kick my inner fat kid in the ass and stop indulging her with cookies and candy, and boy did I kick her in the ass today. Tried out Zombies, run! like I said I would (the c25k-program, seeing as I have asthma and it's been two major holidays with a lot of food and not a lot of movement when you're huddled in front of the computer doing school work). Was out for half an hour, had more energy than I thought I would, and the format really helped me. Running without anything to listen to is probably the most boring thing in the world, and I get out of breath almost immediately. Running with music works better, but damn, running with somebody telling you that zombies are behind you works really well. The story was engaging, and mixing it up with a running playlist from my phone just made the whole thing feel kinda awesome rather than like something I had to do because whatever.

Oh so true.
I've missed running. Now that the snow's melting I hope to be able to get back out there again roughly three times a week (even though right now the roads are all super icy and I almost slipped and died like a million times). It's nice how you end up feeling really good afterwards with endorphins, and post-workout showers are magical.

I'm off to spend the evening straightening out my room and getting to grips with the enormous mountain that is the dishes so I don't have to feel awkward when my friend comes over tomorrow to make cupcakes for a friend's birthday party. They're going to have little chocolate bikes on them. They're going to be awesome. Until then I leave you with what was, hands down, the best episode out of all the Project Runways in the history of the show. Well, the best challenge at least. Seriously. High fashion, yay!


Can t. Live. With. So. Much. Cute!
Oh my god, Woo-kyung has a stuffed bear pillow that she transports by tying it around her neck so it looks like it's hanging on. How adorable can you get? Is this even legal? I'm madly in love with her at this point. She's the cutest thing ever. Starting an episode like this is like demanding I get diabetes from her being so sweet.

"Aww shit, the episode is starting with the button bag. Nothing good ever comes from the button bag," I thought when the model host who never smiles stepped onto the runway. Luckily my fears of another team challenge were quickly discarded when avant garde designer-wear started walking the runway. Alexander McQueen! Martin Margiela! Ralph Lauren! Donna Karan! Vivienne Westwood! Marc Jacobs! Dries Van Noten! And Comme Des Garçons Rei Kawakubo! Oohh, fashion heaven. What an awesome challenge to make an outfit inspired by these awesome pieces. Why don't they do challenges like this on regular Project Runway?

 Oh and when Jae-min picked the Martin Margiela-look and left Woo-kyung with the much kookier and harder to work with Dries Van Noten-look, it looked like she was going to punch him in the face and it made me laugh so much. Nice to see that she's not all rainbows and sunshine.

"Imma stab you with my knitting needles, bitch."

Cue adorable pouting.
Also the camera crew really likes filming the guys without shirts on. Is this some sort of fan service to the target audience? Because if so... Yeah, I'm not complaining. As you were.

After watching this episode I get the feeling that I should give up on regular Project Runway altogether in favour of Project Runway Korea based on talent alone. Seriously, I was blown away. Given time, money and good inspiration, it's amazing what these people can create. This is good TV, Bravo, not your drama-infested Big Brother-style fashion.

Perfection.
Gotta love that one of my favourite designers of the season created a look inspired by one of my favourite brands and just knocked it out of the park. This outfit is magical. It gives me chills. So so so great. The hands holding everything together (even the model's hair!) are genious. Jae-woong, you have blown me away. Dropped crotch pants, oversized yet dressy and using formal elements in a different way, such as the shirt hanging off the back as a sort of cape - Jae-woong captured every essence of Comme Des Garçons. I want this. I want this so bad. Fantabulous.

*jaw drop*
Oh my lord, Yong-seop's Ralph Lauren inspired piece. Another look I wanted to reach through the screen to grab. It was crazy good how he took the inspiration of that stunning green tartan dress, and instead of going literal he made a really cool androgynous look that compliments it style-wise both in the use of contrasting colours and the play on gender roles, seeing how beautifully feminine the green dress was. The hunting/riding-ensemble in red it resulted in is so cool. The pants are really good too, with the pockets mimicking vintage-styled riding gear. Making the blouse tartan as well was great. Everything felt very well thought out. One of the best ones for sure, and my pick for win had Jae-woong not suddenly been possessed by the spirit of Rei Kawakubo for a few days. Poor guy, he looked heartbroken when Jae-woong won.

Not great, but absolutely not bad either.
Jae-min's Martin Margiela look was a little overpraised to me. Yes, it's a very cool take on the inspiration, but to me that jacket looks kinda bulky. And while it's cool that he took the geometrical elements of the original design and modified them to work in his lapels and pockets, I thought it ended up looking a wee bit boring. The styling is spot-on though.

Looks pretty sweet.
Myung-sin's pantsuit felt very Donna Karan - that boring camel brown made stylish is a signature, and the draping was superb. The execution of the look was great, and the idea solid. I'm not crazy about the chiffon trench coat, mainly because of the colour, but it's a good look and a clear nod to her inspiration. Maybe even a little literal.

Boring.
Seung-hee's Vivienne Westwood fell a little flat for me. While she captured the idea of the interesting bust shape and added her own touch on the back, but it was such an understated look when comparing it to the inspiration. There were so many lines that could've been played with, and I just think she played it too safe. Not bad of course, just not as good as I would've wanted it to be. Then again, seeing all the really good looks that were on top I feel spoiled.

Good ideas, execution maybe lacking a little.
Hye-jung's Alexander McQueen tribute was a little unfortunate in that the bust area looks like there's too much fabric and the skirt looks just a little bit off in proportion. Had it been a little bit longer I think that this would've really looked stunning. I still like the look and I don't think it deserved the low score it got really, but everyone created such amazing things for this episode's runway that I'm hard-pressed to say who should've taken her place. It's really neck-and-neck when the designers are given freer reins, and it's so fun to see. I think the sleeve details are cool, and the pleating along the waist makes for a really interesting effect. I kinda want a jacket with these style elements to go with my kodona outfits.

Woo-kyung darling, what happened?
Poor Woo-kyung was stumped the whole episode, and it shows. Her 'Let them eat cake' idea, taking elements from Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette and it's modern twist on French 18th century fashion and super-emphasizing the hips was an interesting take in theory, but it ended up looking super weird. Not her best work by far, and the materials look kinda cheap and ick. I'm just happy she didn't get booted off the show. That would've just been too much disappointment for me to handle.

Wrong American sportswear, sorry.
Literally nothing about this is even remotely like Marc Jacobs.
I didn't think Jae-eun's outfit was so bad in and of itself, but it didn't really bear any resemblance to the Marc Jacobs look she was given as inspiration. I can see the nod to American styled sportswear, but there was just nothing that made me think of the piece she was given to start out with. It feels more Tommy Hilfiger than Marc Jacobs. Sad to see her go, but it was the better choice, and I'm not just saying this because I love Woo-kyung (even though come on, how can you not root for someone that adorable? You'd have to be completely heartless).

No comments:

Post a Comment