Pages

Thursday 4 April 2013

On watching Project Runway obsessively, S11E10

Thesis season going on right now. Got my paper due Friday so every day is thesis day in my living room. Feels pretty good actually, it's been long since I felt motivated to really work, but it's an interesting subject and yesterday I raided the library taking every available book on Japanese architecture, so now I'm ready to get shit done.

That Korean book is just there for my own entertainment though. Architecture nerd warning.
So to give myself some inner blogging peace I'm going to stick you people with a post I've already prepared before, like if this were some sort of cooking show, and get to work on my own stuff. I'll catch you guys later, hopefully then with a more complete understanding of traditional Japanese architecture linking to modernism. Anyone who doesn't find that interesting is just... not interested in traditional Japanese architecture or modernism I guess. No biggie.

 So yeah, back again with another episode of drama drama drama. This week it was about creating a look of 'wearable art' and a commercial companion piece, and Christ, there was a lot of product placement to go with it. It was the HP fabric creating challenge (yeah, a million challenges in one), so obviously I expected some, but when Tim had to go off on a several minute praise fest of how fantabulous everything about the new HP computer was I just wanted to die a little inside, the same way I'm guessing Tim did. Ugh. I mean, a regular episode is bad enough as it is - mention the HP touch pads (yeah, no sketching on paper here, we're all digital. Ugh), mention Mood, have awkward non-fluid conversations about how fabulous the concealer you're using is... It's so low.

Anywho, some was good, some was bad and a lot was just bitchy. Starting out with the winning team:

Ooh.
I really liked Stanley's this week. I thought he deserved the win and I was happy when he got it. The dress is really cool, I wouldn't mind one like it, and even though Michelle made the print, this was so clearly a Stanley dress and not a Michelle dress that I think that's what swayed the judges.

A little much for my taste, but still good.
A lot of work went into this, I'm not gonna lie. Michelle did good. But to me personally it's a bit much. Apocalyptic fabric choice? Check. Slightly unexpected crafty material? Check. Hand-manipulated? Check. I mean, this feels like Project Runway avant garde challenge bingo. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad at all, but it wasn't my favourite. Y really liked it, even enough to not mind the hat. I wanted that hat to die a thousand fiery deaths. What is up with Michelle and bad-shit crazy hats? The one she was wearing today with the strange print faces sticking up from a thousand different directions, the one she normally wears that kinda looks like a loofa... I mean, geez, I love hats, but everything Michelle has worn so far has been insane.

In a way it was almost a little unfair to pair Stanley and Michelle, seeing as they both do really well and were pretty much destined to win from the start. Then again, being two designers who work well shouldn't stop them from being paired together, so all in all it was good. Turned out some neat results. Too bad the same can't be said for the other teams.

The jacket - great. The skirt - yawn.
Mustachio did a bitching jacket. He's really good at those. The shoulder details were a nice touch, I like the fact that the sleeves were (p)leather(?), it gave it all a slightly more edgy touch. The skirt was fine, considering what he had to work with. His was clearly the more successful look, which leads me to the ungrateful whiny bitch that is Layanna.

Ugh.
Spoiled rotten, self-absorbed and self-righteous. I've been growing tired of her high school drama-esque whining lately. At the start of the episode Y said she didn't agree, but after that judging there was just no two ways about it. She just couldn't handle Mustachio not saying that she should win, despite the fact that her garment was clearly a disaster, because she helped. Apparently that was all her. Mustachio wasn't even being bitchy or throwing her under the bus or anything - he just wouldn't give her credit for something she didn't do, and she bawled backstage. "I feel so betrayed!" Jesus Christ monkey balls girl, grow the fuck up. She wouldn't trust him an inch during the process, put too much effort into trying to micromanage him, didn't give him any fabric to work with, and still wants all the credit. I yelled at the screen for her to pipe the fuck down, she can't have heard me because the whining just didn't stop. Ah well, next week will be fun, there'll be bitching until the cows come home.

Almost no talk of heritage today... until the very end. Dammit Patricia.
I never ever thought I'd be saying this, but... I'm happy Patricia didn't go home this week. Try to contain your shock. She did her fabric manipulation thing as always, although this was actually an appropriate challenge to do so, so I'm not going to complain. I thought the result was pretty cool actually - it actually did look like art, which hardly anyone else's did. The shape was conceptual, and even though she kinda lost my new-found and very tentative like at the end by talking about tribes and stylized eagles' feathers, she managed to keep it together at least so far. She tried so hard to make things work with Richard, but to no avail, because Richard is a little pissy bitch.

Jaw-droppingly awful.
I mean, he had all that time and he only came up with this?! Thank you Tim for calling him out on his tactics of trying to get Patricia booted for him not doing any work by blaming it on her crazy. The skirt is total mayhem, it looks like the stuff you get ketchup in at fast food joints. It's like it's a bad tennis outfit. And then they blame the print? No, just blame Richard for not knowing how to work with anything other than knit jersey. This was terrible. Good thing he left.

 It appears that the team challenges are over in as much as the designers will be designing their own stuff (which, to be fair, has been pretty much what they've been doing so far), but in the trailer for next week's episode it seems like they'll be getting help from previously booted designers which means oh my god TU WILL BE BACK! <3 I mean, probably for a limited time only, but yay! So happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment