Pages

Thursday 11 April 2013

On watching Project Runway obsessively, S11E11

Oh man. Ohh man. This was disastrous, as has been the entire latest season. In came the notorious Marie Claire editorial challenge, to make an outfit for some b-grade celebrity who was in some Fast and the Furious-sequel that I've never seen nor even heard of, so yeah. Can't say that I was on the edge of my seat for this one. Although I've gotta say, even with low expectations I was pretty damn underwhelmed.

So, uh, yeah, best of the worst I guess.
So yay for old designers coming in to help the remaining ones with their outfits. And aww on Stanley for picking Tu first of all, which was rewarded in the most adorable hug and hand-holding, making Pony and I totally melt. I love Tu, he's so adorable. Anywho, Stanley then went on to first be a bit harsh, and then a bit of an asshole to Tu, who worked crazy hard. Now all in all I'm not against someone who takes what they do seriously, which Stanley totally does, and I could totally relate to when he said "I don't say 'please' and 'thank you'. I think it, but the thoughts get jumbled in my head". This happens all the time when I'm stressed - you go into work mode and just plow right through everything. There's a fine line between stress-induced grouchiness and just being an asshole though, and Stanley kinda crossed it before the runway show. That being said, it was a pretty good look, although now my favourite. The pants were pretty cool, but would've looked cooler in another colour. Or any colour. The print top was just... busy, and the jacket, while very well-made, was a little strange and off in proportion. I liked his first idea of a closed jacket far better.

Did you get lost on your way to the LARP-convention?
Pony and I both kinda flipped our shit on Layana's look. "It's Xena: Warrior Princess!" Pony exclaimed, and I totally agree. While the idea was interesting in and of itself, it was way too simple. Piece a bunch of triangles together, sure. But these triangles could've been cut to fit the shape of the body or tweaked or something, because the way things were now that was all it was - triangles. The proportions were off too, and that skirt was a total mess and looked like an afterthought. We're over you, Layana. Come to think of it, I was never into you from the start, so just piss off, 'kay?

Ugh, my eyes!
Mustachio. Oh god. When he said he was making a jacket with a sculpted shoulder Pony and I looked at each other, heaved a heavy sigh and just died a little inside. Why oh why these constant... you know what, I'm not even going there. I'm bored to tears. To his defense Pony didn't find it all that bad, saying that since it was for an editorial shoot it wouldn't have to fit into any 'real' scenario, but still, it's really really yellow. Like "ahh, my eyes!" yellow. Banana yellow. Michelle's Sesame Street-comment was just amazing. I sincerely hope I don't have to see Mustachio make it to fashion week. Can you imagine? An entire collection with nothing but strong 80's shoulders and Texas dated glamour. I think I'd want to vomit.

Barf.
I never thought I'd say this, but I think I've been cutting Patricia some slack lately because of her being forced to work with Richard. That being said, there's no excuse for this. Oh man, that's just been a train-wreck. A teal bag of fluff with some crafty 'feathers' not even sewn, but hot-glued on? Jesus. The sad part was I could even hear myself go "Oh, well it wasn't that bad", just from comparing it to everything else on that runway, which is just a really bad sign as to the others' contribution. I wonder if Richard really is as stupid as he comes off on TV though. Seriously, 45 minutes to learn how to do a french seam? Really? It's a seam, not rocket science. The whole thing's a joke.

Now to the controversial moment that's sparked much debate on other blogs - Michelle.

More green post-apocalyptic-styled stuff, who would' ve guessed?
I liked the shape of the pant more when it was in its sketch phase, when it had more of a distorting shape and an interesting feel to it, but it looked kinda meh on the runway. Poofy pant, good for you. Sure, it looked wearable, but when Nina Garcia says "Don't give me pants and a t-shirt", she fucking means to not give her a pair of pants and a t-shirt, Michelle. Don't fucking push your luck all the time. A lot of people have said "It's an atrocity that she's even in the bottom! That's the only outfit I'd ever want in my closet!", and that's exactly the point - editorial outfits generally aren't for peoples' closets (although let me go through an Italian Vogue and I'll want to just go grab looks straight off the pages and wear them, crazy styling and all). She just missed the point of the challenge and directly disobeyed one of the challenge rules set by a judge, and you're surprised she's in the bottom? Then again, with the whole "We're giving you a chance to redeem yourself!" thing, shit just got ridiculous. Now even though Michelle is one of the few people left who does anything half-way decent, stressing her out with petty challenges when you can't make up your mind if you're going to cut her or not is just cruel. Either kick her off the show or keep her, none of this in-between bullshit.

There's just absolutely no point in watching regular Project Runway anymore. They need to shorten the program again, take a year break (minimum) to find some real talent and then come back with less enabling judges, less ridiculous challenges and less crack smoking. After this season I'm considering giving it up, like a relationship that was great in the beginning with puppies and sunshine, and now is just one disappointment after the other. I'm giving up on it, even though I love Tim Gunn and the general idea of the show. I just really don't care who wins at all anymore because everything is just so uninteresting and predictable. Project Runway, I want you back to the way you used to be. We used to have so much fun, don't you remember?

No comments:

Post a Comment