Pages

Thursday 18 April 2013

On movies you probably don't know but definitely should see - I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK

I wasn't sure whether or not I should include I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK in this series of movies you don't know, seeing as a lot of people actually do know it. It's become an indie cult classic, but since people still tend to go "huh?" when I mention it, and it's one of my favourite movies, you guys will just have to stick it out. I borrowed (OK, pretty much stole) the DVD from Sand a few months ago and have yet to give it back, seeing as I watch this movie on average at least once every other week.



The movie is about Young-goon, who harms herself at work one day while hearing voices, and is admitted to a psychiatric hospital where she goes around convinced that she, in fact, is a battle-type cyborg. She refuses to eat because of this (actress Im Soo-Jung only weighed a crazy 39 kg while filming), and also makes a point of wearing her grandmother's dentures and talking to all the electronic appliances. She meets Il-sun, an antisocial guy who thinks he can steal other peoples' abilities, and he makes it his duty to try to make her eat again. It's a different kind of love story, by director Park Chan-wook who's otherwise known for the Vengeance trilogy (which is far less cute and more icky), and it's one of those movies I keep coming back to because it makes me feel good. It's relieving that no-one is magically cured from their mental illness - life just goes on all the same, even with these two characters falling for each other. It's just like with everything else in life I guess, things don't magically change overnight (as they do in a lot of Western movies). Great revelations happen nowhere near as often as the movie gods would lead us to believe. Sometimes we just keep on being crazy.















For all you people who don't only want to watch Korean movies, have no fear! It's only by coincidence that I've posted about two in a row now. Korean movies are cool, and besides, it's more likely that you don't know of good Asian movies than it is that you should know of good Western movies right? Thought so. Anywho, there will be more variation on this topic, promise. But for now, check it out, because it's one of those wonderful movies that leave you all warm and fuzzy inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment