Pages

Sunday 14 April 2013

On playing games and shooting racists

I've gotta say, hands down, that Bioshock Infinite is an awesome game.



Been playing it for most of the weekend and it's a delight. The graphics are top-notch, the story (so far) is intriguing and the mechanics are interesting. Gotta say I miss the feel of the old Bioshock though. Splicers lurking in a dark, watery city looking all messed up and talking with deranged voices were a lot scarier than the cronies in Bioshock Infinite - regular people. Bioshock Infinite is set in a city in the sky, propelled by some kind of quantum mechanics, and, being set in 1912, it's inhabited by probably the most racist assholes I've ever encountered in a game. Then again, it's an interesting twist that the bad guys are actually people with just inherently horrible world views. It makes it a bit less creepy, or rather, creepy in a different way.
I don't feel terrified playing Infinite the same way I did while playing the first Bioshock - always on edge, needing to pause every now and again to breathe a little and get my bearings, but at the same time it's disturbing to be around people who are so openly prejudice and horrible. 1912 religious right-wing nutters, it's like an entire city in the sky inhabited by Westboro Baptist Church. I'm not so much going "Ihhh!" as I'm going "Shit shit shit, fuck fuck fuck, DIE YOU SCUMBAG!", which, while nice, wasn't what I was expecting exactly when buying the game. Still, it was a good buy, it's a good game, and I'm looking forward to playing it more in-depth this coming week. Might write something more in-depth then, but until then I'm going to just immerse myself in it and be happy with that.







So far, my bottom line is just 'play it'. Try it out. It's not all that hard (it kinda has a few balance issues, I'm getting ridiculously far just using a shotgun and the Murder of Crows-vigor, which let's just say is every bit as nasty as it sounds), and it sucked 7 hours from my life without me noticing at all. Oh Bioshock and your time thieving ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment