Pages

Thursday 25 April 2013

On doppelgangers and posing with cats

Today's been the third day in this week of days-that-turned-out-kinda-shit. It's been the better of these shitty three days, but I'm still exhausted and seriously craving some time off at this point. No can do, there's architecture to create.

Pictured: Me and every other student I know.
My construction assignment worked out just fine. The teacher glanced at the stack of papers for about tenth of a second and went "Yeah, you pass." No check of the actual work or any real comments on it, except to totally diss my idea of having a wooden facade, because "Well, it's a really tall building and there are all kinds of other forces working on it, so what if the wind pulls a piece of the wooden facade down and you end up impaling a kid in a stroller down below? You've gotta think of these things." Let me just say that the impaling of people kept coming back into the conversation, which was totally weird. All this also with a really thick German accent that I have a horrible time trying to understand. After a quick conversation on being colourblind ("You're colourblind? So am I! Wow, what a coincidence!" and "I'll tell you a secret, people never notice. Don't tell anyone, you'll get away with it.") and the apparent joys of metal facades (zinc in particular) he let me go my merry way. The whole thing was kinda surreal, he's either in a good mood (with odd baby-impaling-jokes) or in a terrible mood where he threatens to keep students behind a whole year because they haven't finished his assignment per instruction, so it's a little scary going to see him seeing as you never know if you're getting good cop or bad cop. He's mostly good cop to me, so that's all good. Before I left he told me to "relish the stress you're feeling, because that means that you'll feel all the better when you're finished". Uhm... thanks teacher, but that's terrible (and kinda masochistic) advice.

Anywho, I'm stuck for another long night of doing school work. Tonight (hopefully) shouldn't be as bad as yesterday, and my project's actually really beginning to shape up, so I'm pretty psyched about it. There's a lot of work to be done still, but the general thoughts are beginning to be aligned and I'm beginning to hope that things will work out in the end and that my project will shape up to look pretty neat by the time I'm finished with it. I predict a whole bunch of sleepless nights, but what the hell, suffer for art. It needs to be done. That doesn't mean I'll "relish the feeling" (stupid construction teacher), but I'll power through, because I have to.

On a slightly more positive note, I saw T's doppelganger today. I don't know if I mentioned it before, but somewhere around where I live there's an Asian guy who looks so much like T that every time I see him I have to remind myself not to stare or run up to say hi. The first time I spotted him he was behind me in line at the store and I jumped when I saw him. Feels funny and a bit sad at the same time. It sucks to have friends on the other side of the globe when you can't see them as often as you'd like to.

To try to get myself out of this rut I'm in, I've been trying to get into other bands to at least have some new music to look forward to, and I've gotta say that MGMT are really holding up nicely. From the cover of their Oracular Spectacular album I developed a bit of a crush on the singer Andrew VanWyngarden. I mean, daym, that body.

I' m tired, overworked and my boyfriend s been out of town for two months. I can gawk if I want. Shut up.

No comments:

Post a Comment