Pages

Saturday 28 June 2014

On fighting loneliness and becoming an adult


I love how people in this country unironically can go "I love drinking!" with a happy smile on their face and not automatically be pegged as alcoholics. So many people I've met through work will happily admit to getting wasted as a hobby. "I like alcohol!" they'll smile, and I kinda have to surpress a giggle. Say that anywhere else in the world and people will try to put you in rehab. I can relate to these people. I, too, like alcohol. So much so, in fact, that I decided I hadn't gotten my drink on in way too long and invited my Akihabara boss (who bribed me with cookies on Tuesday) of all people do go drinking with me after work on Thursday. I say boss, he's probably more of my manager, but he's the person who keeps the instructors organized over at the studio. He obliged by getting rid of my last lesson and taking me out for drinks at this pub a few floors down from the office, and it was awesome to just be able to talk to someone like a human being again!

He turned out to be a really cool dude, born in Shanghai but grew up in the Dominican republic and New York, with lots of family in Toronto. I probably had the most fun I've had in a really long time, and it was great to just be seen and talked to and get to hang out like a normal person. Last night I went out for okonomiyaki with another cool dude; an introverted guy who loves cats and indie music, and today I'll be heading to a cat café somewhere here in Ikebukuro, and then going for karaoke in the evening. I feel like Operation Get Work Shit Together is over, and now I'm kicking Operation Get Social Life Together into high gear. It does make me a bit tired, and with the Philosopher coming soon I'm left wondering how much socializing I'll have time to do before I drop off the face of the earth for three weeks to focus all my energy on him for the short time that he's here, but for now, I'm just throwing myself at it and hoping some fun will stick.


I've already been here a month now. I didn't even realize when the exact day passed. Somehow I was sure I'd be feeling a lot more upset about it, or that I'd miss home. The truth is, I don't. I miss the people, but I'm happy to not be in Stockholm. I'm happy with my life here and now. It makes me feel a little illoyal, especially towards my friends and to the Philosopher. Life here, so far, has been good. Every day brings something new, something interesting. Things are going on right around the corner. Life in Stockholm was mostly hard. Hard and boring. I'd work really hard, doing shit I didn't want to, hanging out at places I'd already been a million times. Things are so different. I think I really needed that. I feel like I'm coming into myself, and like I'm really growing and kinda blossoming from being here. Yesterday I installed a fucking washing machine by myself. Now I'm officially an adult. An irresponsible adult, but kinda adult all the same. And you know what? I kinda like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment