Pages

Sunday 15 June 2014

On sleazeballs and scary soup

I met my first Japanese sleazeball today! I know I shouldn't really sound so enthusiastic in saying it, but I was wondering whether all Japanese people really are nice. Turns out they're not really. I had a lesson with a guy today who was the stereotypical jock. He seemed smart enough, and wasn't bad-looking, but he had the crappiest attitude. Entertaining at times, like when he told me about his Friday evening, which consisted of going out and getting hammered until 4 a.m., and then going back to work for his 9 a.m. start, sleeping in the conference room and waking up with a hangover; but around fifteen minutes late to a 40 minute lesson, and also kinda sleazy. "Do you have a boyfriend?" he asked pretty much off the bat. "Uh, yeah," I replied. "In Sweden?" he proceeded to ask, and upon my confirmation he pretty much went "Hah, wonder how long that'll last. I bet he's in for a disappointment. You'll probably end up staying here for ten years." before going on to talk about how him and his girlfriend weren't in a good place lately, "so this weekend, I want to go out and find a new girlfriend!"


Yeah, eww. I was so turned off that I was hardly able to try to have a proper lesson with the guy. It makes me feel lucky that everyone else has been really sweet and polite. I hope the awkwardness that this lesson caused won't get him to give me a negative evaluation or something equally shitty. "You should go to this place in Roppongi. It's a good place for young women to meet young men." Thanks, I'll pass. Creep.
Apart from that, I get the feeling that things are going pretty well. Sundays are kinda brutal, time-wise. I did twelve lessons today, and my brain is feeling distinctly like porridge right now. I feel pretty good though, emotionally. I have to work my brain at this job, trying to figure out what will be the best method for the particular client I'm working with at the moment, as well as having to think of fun things to talk about with them that relates to their interests. That of course means a whole lot of instances where I'm bored out of my skull listening to them talk about the soccer World Cup for the umpteenth time, as everyone here seems to love that shit, but sometimes I'm actually genuinely interested, and that makes up for the lessons that are weird and awkward.

You're literally looking at the entire extent of my kitchen, T included.
I feel a little boring to not have anything else to add that isn't work-related. I feel like my life is pretty work-centered right now. Then again, I don't think that's terribly weird, seeing as it's pretty much my one outlet for social interaction at all right now, apart from... well, T. T and I have been hanging out once or twice a week, and today he came over to make udon in my ridiculous excuse of a kitchen. Seriously, it's tiny. I think it's okay for just me, but T laughed about it the whole time, and I kinda don't blame him. It's a total bachelor's kitchen - it's not someplace where you would expect anything remotely complicated to stem from. The udon did turn out nice though. The only thing was that they turned out...


...uh, green. As a point of reference, udon is not supposed to be green. I told T I had wakame, meaning the wakame salad I had in the fridge, and while he said it wasn't technically the stuff you put in udon, he still stuck it in there. The soup turned green, and when he read the ingredients label, he found out that my beloved wakame salad is processed as all hell, and dyed green. I probably shouldn't eat it anymore and it leaves me kinda heartbroken, because I love that scary dyed salad. It's super tasty. That and kimchi have become a staple of my diet. The alternative would be to keep not giving a crap. I mean, so far not giving a crap has been a totally viable option. I don't see why that has to change now.

No comments:

Post a Comment