Pages

Friday 13 June 2014

On glorious returns and apartment love

Like how do I even?
I'm back from the dead, dear silent readers! Well, I say dead, but the truth is that I've moved into my new apartment and only got the internet up and running today. Man, there was just so much paper work to get through with all of that, and most of it was in Japanese. Seriously, I have no idea how people who speak zero Japanese even make it a day in this country. It must be ridiculously hard. I asked another guy at work, who said he spoke like ten words of it, and he just said that he had a girlfriend who spoke Japanese and who'd take care of everything for him, like getting him a phone and a bank account. In comparison I feel like I'm a mix of fiercely independant and very alone. I'm not unhappy with that state of being, as I do enjoy a whole lot of time with myself, but it does feel a little odd to not really have anyone at all around when I'm used to people around at pretty much all times.
That's what's both great and a little daunting about my new apartment. It's a space that's all mine. I'm still not completely used to it, and I'm not really sure I've made myself 100% comfortable. Like, I don't know which side to lie on in bed - should I face the wall or the room? This morning I also noticed that on hot sunny days, my room becomes a sauna between 5 a.m. and 9 a.m. Better get som curtains STAT. But sauna or not, this is my space now, and my space alone. No one is going to come busting through the door at any time asking to borrow a book or sweater. I can sleep as late as I want in the mornings, because I'll still have plenty of time for sightseeing whenever I feel like it, because I'm going to be here for a year. It's kinda noisy as well, but not so much so for living in the center of Tokyo as you might imagine. Given some time, I'm sure I could make a home here. The mere fact that I've slept like a baby since I got here speaks for itself.


You do see the awesome parts about living in Tokyo when you're here at night though. By day it's great - you can see Tokyo Skytree all the way across town on a clear day, but it's at night when you see all the blinking lights and can look out over the whole area that you really realize that you picked the right apartment, and maybe even the right city. I haven't been here even three weeks, so I guess it's a little premature to say, but I really do love living in Tokyo right now, at this very moment. There are things about living in Tokyo that I obviously don't like, such as being away from the Philosopher and all my friends, but I really think I can grow from all of this.

Hello view from balcony.

I was going to write this long and elaborate piece to make up for the days I've missed, but quite frankly I'm pretty exhausted. Now that I have a decent connection however, I can just type it up whenever (or, well, tomorrow) and give you guys all the insight into my so-far pretty crazy Japanese life. It'll be worth the wait, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment