Pages

Monday 30 June 2014

On people fighting for you but not giving you a hug

Operation Get Work Shit Together seems to really be working out. My bosses at Ikebukuro approached me today to tell me that my Akihabara boss keeps asking them to send me over. "You're booking up here," the big bald one said. "We can send him someone else, but you we want to keep." I think my Akihabara boss is cool and all, but I kinda don't want to work there given that it's a 30 minute trip instead of a seven minute one, making it way out of my way. I've gotta say though, I love having people fight over me. My Akihabara boss even told me they had beforehand. "All the Learning Studios were fighting to get you when we heard that they were placing a young female somewhere in the area. After all, they're the ones that get booked the most." And at over 80% lessons booked for my first month, with 85% of my Ikebukuro lessons booked alone, I can see what they mean. I'm just happy I seem to be pretty good at my job too, and not just a piece of ass. Today I even got to move out of my dark corner booth into a window booth. This might've been a coincidence. I suspect it wasn't. Akihabara may bribe me with beer and cookies, but give an architecture nerd a window booth in an office on the 20th floor in the most interesting city in the world, and you've got yourself a happy camper.


My brain's been on Derp-mode all day today though. I did a crap-tonne of laundry last night and this morning, having finally figured that shit out (sortof, but it would seem that it's not really possible to wash clothes with warm water in this country. The hell?). I figured my work skirt would need a wash last night, and then, when there was still some lint or whatever on it, I threw it into the machine this morning too, totally forgetting that I'd need to wear it in a number of hours. It wasn't dripping, but I've done far more comfortable things in my life than wander around with a pretty damp skirt on. I'd crack jokes about hot guys and getting myself wet, but I'm just too tired at this point. It's been a pretty long day.

Visual representation of my brain capacity at the moment.

I was feeling pretty exhausted towards the end of my shift. One good thing that happened was that my friendly, nerdy, completely linguistically oblivious publisher showed up and was as charming as ever. He even brought a book on temples from his publishing company for me to look at, and then happily talked about other things in his not-too-coherent way. It was such a huge compliment. Not only had he picked me again, but he'd actually brought something for me, and not for the sake of my reading through it to check for errors and grammatical inconsistencies. It's like he legitimately cares and likes my company in a completely non-creepy way, and that stuff just makes my day.

It just struck me that I haven't had a hug in almost a month. I guess that's why even the smallest act of kindness echoes so loudly in me right now. I miss genuine affection.

No comments:

Post a Comment