Pages

Saturday 12 July 2014

On shaking awakenings and coming to terms with time

I have awoken from my blog slumber!

Delays delays! Sorry silent readers. Things have been pretty hectic lately. Work, trying to straighten out some sort of social life, and the Philosopher coming here last Tuesday has left me running in circles. Running in circles in a good way of course, but I've missed blogging. I hope you'll all forgive my tardiness.

Life in Tokyo is as exciting as ever, being woken up at like four in the morning by an earthquake. I'm sure there have been earthquakes here before while I've been living here, but I've reasoned that as long as I don't notice them, I haven't experienced an earthquake. Well, this one I experienced. It turned out to be a 6.5 quake off the coast of Fukushima, which translates to probably not 6.5 in Tokyo, but enough to wake me from my death-like sleep. It took me a second to realize what it was, before it filled me with a kind of primal fear, during which time I wondered if it would be a sort of pre-quake to a really big one and how much shit would hit the fan if that were true, but it passed withing fifteen seconds, and I fell right back to sleep again. So much for primal fears right? Apparently this makes me an official Tokyoite, according to the people I know. Every cloud has a silver lining and all that stuff, right?

These past few days of non-blogging have been up and down. Sometimes I'm on the top of the world, and sometimes I have no idea what I'm doing. I guess that's pretty normal though. I'm trying to get my friend act together, but the constant messaging is kinda tiring, and it's hit a bit of a snag now that the Philosopher is here and I'd rather spend my time hanging around him than making new friends for a bit, so I'm curious to see who sticks out these three weeks of me totally not being social. There's been so much going on that I feel a little emotionally drained right now, and I've been sleeping more than my ordinary lazy person amount this week. I'm not too worried - it'll pass, like all things. I'm just focusing on moving forward. As long as I'm doing that, everything should be fine.


The Philosopher told me that I'd been talking in my sleep a few nights ago, saying things about it being 'our birthday', and 'fiiiiive'. He did the math and figured out that we're actually at our five month anniversary now. Do you still say anniversary if it's not a year yet? What's this, some sort of checkpoint? I don't know. Apparently my subconscious is far more sappy than my conscious, as I knew nothing about this in my waking state.

Five months huh? It feels like it's been forever. So many things have happened in the past five months that it feels like March was another age all together. This past month alone has felt like at least three. In that regard, five months sounds a little ridiculous. It's been five good months, it really has, and it just makes me wonder about the future, seeing that Tokyo time seems to contain like fifty million more things than Stockholm time. I'm eternally grateful that I left Stockholm. I just wish it didn't have to mean that I left myself in a complicated relationship situation with someone this amazing.


Again, I'm sorry about my absence. I've missed these rambling monologues. I'll get back on it, silent readers. I'll try not to abandon you again.

No comments:

Post a Comment