Pages

Saturday 3 August 2013

On watching Project Runway obsessively, S12E2

Saturday morning, and everyone in the apartment is up on their own at like 7.30 am. What's up with that? Felt surprisingly good though, like I'm full of all this energy I don't know where it came from. A full night's sleep maybe. I should get to bed before midnight more often.

Anywho, I'm doing a review of last week's Project Runway this week, because it's just impossible for it not to be depressing if Pony's not around. Yesterday morning she came back though, and I'm psyched about it. We celebrated today with Project Runway and dancing around in the living room to k-pop. Why change a winning concept? Anywho, moving on.

Bed sheets are fabulous.
The challenge of the week was to create a look inspired by some seriously expensive jewelry they all got to borrow. Jewelry and stuff seriously doesn't have me all that wowed most of the time, and I seldom wear it, but the stuff featured this week looked pretty cool for the most part. Most designers really dropped the ball on it though. The winner was Kate, who was totally on a roll with this Vivien Westwood-inspired dress that looked awesome for having been made in 24 hours. I'm a little bored with her corseted bodices, as they seemed to be a major thing last season, but whatever, this looks cool. Nicely done.

Another bed sheet anyone?
Dom made a really nice flowing gown, with a slightly questionable green trim. I don't really get those arm thingies, and Y doesn't really get the shiny fabric, but all in all it was a pretty good look. The gathered waist adds a bit to her silhouette which isn't really flattering though.

Because you can totally see a rich Russian mob boss' wife in this.
Pony loved this one, despite it coming from Russian Freddie Mercury. I'm on the fence about it, seeing as I think it straddles a thin line between cool and tacky, but all in all it's not a bad look. A bit much maybe, but it's still pretty neat. It looks really Eastern European.

Pretty, but too short.
The fit of Alexandria's dress was awesome, and the dramatic plunging back was a really nice touch. Pony said it looked too much like a nightgown for her taste, but I liked it. It was a little bit too short in the front to really strike my fancy, as I hate mullet dresses. Had it been a tiny bit longer it would've looked really good, and we could've been saved from those terrible shoes. Pointy shoes are the worst, ugh.

Deaf kid's got style.
Justin made a beautiful dress that didn't really do all that much for the jewels. Still, it was far better than most stuff out there, so he should be pleased with that. He seems to be one of those pretty level-headed designers who gets on with his stuff quietly, I totally respect that. Nothing too amazing, but nothing bad either.

Shiny shiny shiny.
Now I'm not a big fan of all these sequins and stuff, but the internet seems to love Bradon's dress. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad in any way, but again, those goddamn spaghetti straps. They're just so ugly! The cutouts were interesting and the shape is really good though.

Not good, not bad.
Pony liked the asymmetry of this dress, and I was impressed to find out that Ken hammered this look out at a fraction of what everyone else payed for their materials. There are some serious fit issues, but all in all it wasn't bad.

Super drag.
 Pony said she would've liked Alexander's, if it weren't for the sleeves being opened like that. I, on the other hand, found this to be the most drag-looking thing I've seen in a long time. There was just way too much going on with that look.

Smoking in the wrong way.
Again with the spaghetti straps. Are they turning into a trend now? Is the 90's thing that's been going on for a bit now going to start encompassing the bad and tacky trends as well? Jeremy's fit issues are pretty prominent, and it looks like there's smoke coming out of her vagina. It's just not a good look.

Pony: "Why is her crotch wrinkly?"
Sue dropped the ball from last week, making a really strange dress with mysterious wrinkles and a styling that looks like it was stolen straight from the 80's. It's gross, really gross.

Haven't I seen this before?
Miranda made exactly the same dress as she made last week, and it looks even worse now. The colour, the shape, the fit... just ew. Seriously, that bust is just not OK. The whole thing was just elementary-looking.

Barf.
I have no idea how Karen's dress wasn't in the bottom, and that's not just due to my hatred of spaghetti straps. It's hideous. I think it's amazingly ironic how she wants to be known for her tailoring skills, when this is a total bag on the model. It looks ugly, the colour is gross, the fit is terrible and the seams are puckered as hell. Yuck.

There's a reason it's called razorback and not razorfront.
Ohh man. Timothy started digging through those trash bags at Mood and I just wanted to hide somewhere due to secondary shame. This just wasn't happening. He has no concept of design either, as was clearly demonstrated during the critique with Tim Gunn, during which he just kinda stared blankly at Tim while hiding his obvious lack of vision behind random words that relate to the environment. The fit is terrible, the cut is bad and I just plain don't get it. The bust is cray-cray.

Oh dear lord.
This was absolutely terrible. Really really bad. I felt bad for Helen, who, as with most designers when they get to a challenge that's 'their thing', overshot and got way too ambitious. Normally when this happens, the result is mostly meh, sometimes blah, and sometimes completely horrific. This is one of the last ones. Everything from the design, to the fabric choice, to the execution was a mistake. And why do people try to do shit they don't know how to do during a challenge? If you don't know how to do cups - don't do cups, it's as simple as that. And speaking of which, it was absolutely evil to stop the runway show and send Tim Gunn over to comfort her while the cameras were still rolling and everyone's just kinda sitting there looking at her. Let the poor girl have her meltdown off camera, this was just sad.

Ew.
Ugh, this was just awkward. Kahindo was pissed for being eliminated with this, but come on girl, she even told the judges she'd picked that design because it was easy enough to bang out in the given time frame. Wrong move. Also, that print is terrible, and only given slight redemption by the fact that Tim Gunn made her put the darker mesh over it. The pattern alignment is terrible (and pretty much non-existent). It's just bad. I don't know if I think it was the worst of the bunch, but it was bad and boring, and that's just unforgivable.

Speaking of clothes and stuff, I went out today for the first time in a cropped top (and short shorts! And my sneaker wedge heels! Yay!). This shit's a pretty big deal for me, because my body image is sometimes less than could be desired, but it felt pretty good. I got some double takes, which I initially was a bit worried about. "Do they think I'm hot or weird and kinda naked?" My reflection told me I didn't look like a land-whale, and I was feeling pretty damn cool listening to G-Dragon and Shinhwa pretty loud on my phone, so I just went with it and decided that I looked great. And it felt really good! I'm back to the whole 'Don't give a fuck' attitude and it's so liberating. And I love the way my hair looks when I've slept on it while it was still wet, it goes all wavy and looks like Gin-san's hair. Totally awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment