Pages

Monday 12 August 2013

On watching Project Runway obsessively, S12E4

Man, these last few days have been intense. I'm really looking forward to heading over to Hemingway's place to chill and be crampy with some chocolate and bubble tea. I've been spectacularly slow all day, mostly just hanging out on Skype for hours on end, lazily checking more or less interesting tumblrs. I like having a whole day to feel a little bit sorry for myself, and the best way to go about it is covered in blankets, watching Project Runway.

Pony and I greeted this episode with a "Yay, no more Timothy!" and all was good. The challenge of being inspired by bow ties given out by Jesse Tyler (whom neither of us knew who the hell he was), and it all seemed like a straight-forward enough challenge. There wasn't much that could prepare us for the massive amounts of drama though. Geez, that was rough.


So congrats to Bradon, who adorably proposed to his boyfriend after receiving his win. I don't think this look should've won, personally (even though I think it's kinda cute), but it was pretty appropriate. I mean, it's sad that people in this day and age don't have the same equality in what's often claimed to be 'the land of freedom'. Only giving freedom to those who conform to the norm doesn't sound very free to me. Anywho, I wouldn't have spaced the ties so far apart in the top, even if the fagoting excuse was pretty witty, but all in all a good look.




I actually felt a little bit uneasy when Heidi Klum stated that if she had a body like that model, she'd wear the outfit all the time. And yeah, that model looks amazing in a lot of ways - her skin, for one, is absolutely flawless. That being said, she looks tiny. I know I tend to idolize skinny, but this girl's legs are just totally without fat. And yeah, I know her body type most likely comes with a small frame, since her hips are tiny, but I just felt a little bad about Heidi's comment. You don't have to be that skinny just to earn yourself the rights to some shorts and a crop top.


In my opinion, Dom was kinda robbed this week of what should've been the obvious win. That dress is adorable, and both Pony and I wanted it. The way the pattern's matched was great, and the pop of colour by the neckline using the ties was great. The styling, especially the hair, was so smart. The whole thing looks adorable. She's working her way to becoming my favourite, I think.


Neither Pony or I understand the judges' hard-on for Kate. She's good, but not that good, let's be honest. The pants were good, especially for only having made pants like once before (which led me to wonder again, why the hell wouldn't these people practice doing different things before going into a design contest? Why?), but that top is offensive to my eyes. This should've been clear middle material. The whole 'teehee'-ness of Kate is getting a little old. Nina Garcia calling this 'sick' was just ridiculous, she should leave the hip lingo to the young'uns and get back to her granny-taste critiques.


I kinda like Alexandria and her snarky resting bitch-face. She gets on with her stuff, giving clean and minimalistic in a quiet and competent way. Her taste level is good, and she clearly has an eye for this kind of stuff. I hope she amps up the volume once the bad contestants start disappearing.


Pony and I didn't find Helen's nearly as bad as the judges seemed to do. There was a lot worse walking that runway that episode. I don't see why they singled her out when her scores clearly didn't even put her in the bottom. Previously, even if a contestant has immunity, if their garment sucks, they go in the bottom three. That's all there was to it. I've gotta say I'm getting a little sick of her wavering self-confidence though. She needs to believe in what she's doing, rather than letting a (not even that critical) critique from Tim Gunn get to her to the point where she looks like she wants to cry.


I snorted when Karen said she thought she was going into the top. For being someone who wants to make themselves known for tailoring, she can't tailor for shit. I miss Michael Kors, he wouldn't have let that crazy crotch get waved past without commenting on it. "Diaper butt," Pony called it. It's just so awkward-looking.


I don't know if I waved this by in my head because I think the model's really hot, or what's up with that. Those pants are another great example of crazy crotch. So. Much. Camel. Toe. Alexander has a pretty interesting point of view most of the time, but I'm just not sure I can get behind the clowniness of it all.


Ken, I love you being a sassy black gay man, it's like a mix of the best stuff out there, but this dress is terrible and tacky. Pony called it a Playboy bunny costume, and I have a serious problem with the fit. The way it sits over the abdomen makes your model look fat, which is ridiculous.


Justin's look could've been good, or at least more passable than it was, if he'd just... I don't know, there are so many things wrong with it, the most offensive of all being how boring it is. The fit's weird, a lot of aspects of the sewing are wonky, the fabric seems much too stiff, the styling makes her head look tiny... There are just so many things that don't work.


I like Jeremy. I really do. But you just can't use an old dead relative for inspiration. It's one of those Project Runway no-nos. It's fine to reference 30's and 40's fashion, but you're doing it super-literally, with horrible colours, and pants that are much too long. It may be well-made, but the taste level is way off.


Look who made a pencil skirt and a cropped top again. God Miranda, can't you make anything else? Like, ever? And for all her talk of gender-bending, there was nothing remotely queer about this outfit. "What the hell's wrong with America?" Pony exclaimed. "Is it considered playing with gender roles to send out anything that isn't skin-tight spandex?" The only thing remotely masculine about this outfit is the strong shoulders, but that's just another nod to the 80's and hardly even counts. The whole thing was just boring. Could you imagine Miranda designing a collection for fashion week? We'd see like 12 consecutive looks of cropped tops and pencil skirts.


As far as I'm concerned, Sue should've gotten the boot this week. I saw it, scoffed and declared her to have an octopus on her stomach. A bow tie octopus (which now that it's written out sounds like it could've been a pretty dapper dandy-like animal, but this is just roadkill). I can't believe she spent $400 and only spewed out a black jersey dress that turned out very unspectacular, and I'm beginning to think that her dress from the first week was a fluke. Also, I laughed so hard at Nina Garcia's comment about her looking like Sigourney Weaver, "like she has the alien's tentacles all over her". Uhm, Nina, the aliens in Alien don't have tentacles (apart from the face-hugger having its legs that could possibly be construed as being a little bit tentacle-like, was that what you were thinking of?), so don't try to charm us with nerdy lingo when you've clearly never seen the movie. We're not buying it.

What we're both totally buying on the other hand was Zac Posen grabbing the model's strange octopus train and pulling her away with a "Let's go". Buying buying buying.


Christ, where to even start with Sandro. All that drama was just too much to handle. The yelling, screaming, camera punching... it'll be good to have him gone. Maybe the general taste level will rise a little after this, although with Sue and Miranda still in the picture, I doubt it. I agree with Zac Posen about this looking like the morning after a rough night out. It's just so... vulgar, but then again, that did seem to be Sandro's point of view as a designer. When Zac Posen said it was just referencing other more successful designers and he didn't see Sandro as a designer in the dress, I wanted to go "But can't you see it's completely tacky? That's really Sandro."

I'm glad they take temper tantrums seriously on this show. Walking off like that in a huffy rage won't impress anyone. I'll be happy to see Sandro gone, and I'll be happy to never see those terrible bell-bottomed pants that should've been left well in the past (or Mother Russia, whichever means I'll have less of a chance of ever seeing them again).

No comments:

Post a Comment