Pages

Sunday 3 March 2013

On musical longings and shortcomings

east:azn yesterday was all in all a pretty fun evening, maybe not so much for the club as for just hanging out with Pony and just having a girl's night out. I've really started appreciating going out sober - while I can feel a bit more self-conscious then, I'm practicing my not-giving-a-fuck and I'm getting there, slowly. Cue the colour crazy makeup and pastels, we're getting on the Fuck you world-express.

Also weird facial expressions. Deal with it.
We spent the evening eying cute Asians, dancing and wondering what would happen if people could actually hear what we're talking about half the time. Maybe we should make a podcast of just Pony and me being total pervs and being totally open about women's sexuality. We reached the conclusion that we'd get a whole lot of rape-mail and mobs of angry men who feel threatened, so yeah, maybe not.

How dare you have a libido!
We were sought out by one of the staff while we were dancing (tall girl with short pastel hair together with a small girl with long dark hair who show up every single event, they probably recognize us by now) and asked if we were k-pop fans (who isn't?), and what we'd like to hear.

And we were stumped. Talk about being put on the spot. Name dropping isn't really my strong side, and in between trying to figure out if the DJ already played the song and what we'd really like to hear, our minds collectively pulled a blank. Eventually I managed to request some Junsu, which the DJ then went ahead and never played. Can't say he was my favourite person that night.



We could've asked for Super Junior. We could've asked for TVXQ. We could've asked for EXO-K. The second she left us we started sprouting awesome k-pop songs. It's so frustrating! Why is it that shit like that happens all the time? And I was wanting some Block B too.





I love me a bad-boy boy-band.

Squee!
Anyways, it was a party with Asian music generally, and while like Kyary Pamyu Pamyu as much as the next person, I've gotta say that I kinda agree with T that j-pop just isn't cutting it like it used to. J-pop used to be so awesome 5-10 years ago. I don't know if that's because I was at an age where I found that shit to be awesome no matter what, but I like to think that it had more to offer back then than it does now. K-pop has managed to niche itself nicely and is gaining popularity through perseverance, but J-pop just kinda... didn't. And while I seriously love Japanese indie bands, I'm just not sure if I'm really feeling like rocking out to that at a place like east:azn. The worst is K-pop stars translating their songs to Japanese to break into the industry there, and it sounds contrived. K-pop should be in Korean. Singing in a language your song wasn't written for, or you don't have all that much practice in tends to not sound great. Oh well.

Speaking of indie, Sakanaction is releasing a new album and I'm almost peeing myself of anticipation.



I love this video. It's so cool and minimal. Also helps that I find the lead singer Ichiro Yamaguchi to be absolutely adorable. Just sitting here watching him feels really intimate, like we're on Skype or something. Scratching himself, rubbing his shoulders, yawning, drinking coffee... it's so refreshing to find a band you can really feel like they're actual people. It's relate-able. Makes me feel like we're internet pretend friends. T's said that it's the only present-day band he actually likes, and I understand him. They're probably my favourite too, thanks to him. "If the music industry is sick, Sakanaction is the medicine". T's promised to send me the album after it's out, and I'm really looking forward to it. Life feels so hectic as it is right now. Wouldn't mind some Sakanaction medicine of my own.

*sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment