Pages

Tuesday 5 March 2013

On others feelings and the chicken way to deal with them

Sad people make me sad. It's a natural part of life, I know, but still. When it's not me, it's hard to know what to do, and I'm left feeling a bit like a social idiot.

Makes me feel a bit like the bear.
I take people's sadness kinda serious, in that I try not to bother them unless they specifically come to me with it. I tend to think everyone is like me in that they want to be left alone when they're unhappy, which probably isn't true. I just never know what to say, and the whole thing turns into an awkward back pat and a "there there". I feel sympathy, I just... I don't know, I just have a hard time handling these kinds of situations. I wish I'd know how to take care of them better.

People who don't know me very well can get the impression that I don't give a fuck about people. Not true. That being said, I only give a fuck about people I care about. If I don't know or don't like you, I don't give two shits. People I do like, I'm fiercely loyal to no matter what. Still, it doesn't change the fact that blatant displays of emotion make me really uncomfortable. I'm not always good at handling my own emotions even. That shit's hard.

So what do I do instead? Tip-toe, mostly. And I try to do small practical things like fetch tea or do some dishes. I try to show that I care, even if I can have a hard time letting people know in the conventional way. I hope it reaches them anyway. Sometimes people are sad. It's a fact of life. Things get better. Until then I'll be in hiding until they need me, but I'll leave a trail of cookies, ice cream and tea, as these things are medicine for the soul.


No comments:

Post a Comment