Pages

Monday 4 March 2013

On watching Project Runway obsessively, S11E6

So Sunday rolled around again, and I guess that means that it's soon time for another week of school. I feel a bit more energized now though, and I actually plan to study until it's time to skype with T. I'm dividing my work into bite-sized chunks and I think it'll help me not freak the fuck out. I talked to my parents about how I was feeling stressed and underachieving and never felt like I was getting any rest, and while they on one hand said "You've got to watch your health. Take it easy, get some rest. Things will work out", they did go "Well grades are important, if your grade is good it will give you an edge if you're applying for a job and you're tied with another applicant."

My parents if my parents were an Asian man with glasses.
Well, no mom, my work will be what they look at, but still, thanks for making me feel like my fears are legit. I've always had good grades in school (and always without having to try very hard, which is more than I can say about architecture school), and while it's never been a spoken pressure from my parents to perform well (hell, dad had serious issues in school and has said that as long as my siblings and I do better than he did, he's happy), grades have always been an important aspect of school. Two of three of my siblings did very well in school and were on the honour roll, and while the remaining still is smart, she just didn't have the motivation and in some aspects was kind of the black sheep. Education has been important, not for the learning itself, but for the paper you get at the end of it signalling that you know... something at least, and that you're capable of sticking to doing something you set out to do. Anywho, rant over. Time for crazy-pants fashion.

A little bit of crazy crotch.
So the 'real women' challenge. Always interesting to see how the designers fare with a model who's not a size 2, and while they were well-behaved this time, it's not all that surprising that Stanley won when he clearly had the woman who had a body shape most similar to what he's used to. That being said, I like the idea of the pant-suit, and she looks bad-ass. A well-deserved win.

Kinda like this actually.
Richard, bat-shit crazy as he comes across a lot of the time, does make some pretty neat stuff. I like this, despite it feeling a little apprehensive on the colour. Not bad.

Lop-sided and odd.
"Welcome back", Nina said, but while this is better than he's done in a few weeks, it's still not good. It looks tight, the proportions look weird, and the collar leaves me confused. Mustachio, I'm glad you're not producing shit anymore, but you've got to pick up the slack if you want to get back on my good side. This is a bleak copy of your suit from episode 1.

Cute idea, bad fit issues.
Kate, I like you. Your outfits are reasonable. Your taste is fine. You're so sweet to Tu.

Oh boy.
Tu. Tu Tu Tu Tu. Baby. What is this? What is this?! Don't try to crank out things in a day that you can't do. It breaks my heart to see this. You should be sticking to your cool, conceptual edgy style. This looks frumpy and ill-fitting. The lapels are crazy. The fit is weird. The colour seems wrong. You know I love you, but I'm afraid you'll disappear from the show and that makes me a sad panda.

</3

Am I the only one who didn 't like this?
Now the judges did say that they like this, but because of a certain person on the team (*cough* Pocahontas *cough*), they could only let the team be in. While I see that this isn't particularly bad or so, I find the print weird and the lines make her proportions off. It looks a little too big. I feel a little underwhelmed. Not a big fan generally of Layana I think.

Good for you Michelle, a simple retro-styled dress in a funky pattern. *slow clap*
Again with the whining. Yes, I'm sure you're pissed about not being in the top, but come on. "I've only ever been in the bottom because of other people". Forgotten last week so soon? Stop thinking you're the shit. So far you haven't done much to impress anyone. This is no exception. It's a dress I feel like anyone could find anywhere. While it fits her nicely, the only thing special about it is the print. Congratulations on a successful scavenger hunt at Mood.

Patricia, Imma cut you.
If I could, I'd reach through my screen and kick you out myself. Jesus Christ monkey balls, this is bad. This is so bad. They should've kicked your ass to the curb, even if they liked your teammates looks. Seriously starting to get pissed off about the team challenges, seeing as they're an excuse to keep crappy designers on for longer. This fits her horribly and she looks pissed.

The poofiness of the sleeves!
I think Nina was being a bit narrow-minded about this. Just because the woman has tattoos and short hair doesn't automatically disqualify her from a fitted dress with a girly bow. On the other hand, I don't feel like the yellow goes with the leopard, and the poof of the sleeves is a little crazy-looking. Hard to say what I think about Samantha really. Very much of a hit-or-miss.

Ugh, my eyes.
...I'm lost for words here. Sadly I've gotta admit that it looks like something from the 70s that I made my mom throw out from her closet last time I helped her update it. It's so busy, and so poorly executed. Too much, too ill-fitting and could someone please give that woman a better bra? Amanda should've gone, no doubt about it.

Breathing is overrated in Ben s world.
Poor Ben. Things just haven't been going his way. While the little lady was charming, this dress is sad. It's way too tight. It makes her look wide and stiff. She clearly loved it and will probably wear the shit out of it after the show's done, but it just doesn't look all that special. That being said, I don't think that it was worse than Amanda's. That was just painful.

This season kinda makes me sad. So many bad design choices, so many people who should go home who are kept around for no good reason. But to stop watching? Pssh, it's Project Runway, Pony and I will be waiting impatiently every Friday for the new episode to hit the net. We've even made a pact to skype-watch it together when I've gone to Japan. It's something we can both bitch about and go ooh at once a week. No way we're giving that up, no matter how angry we (or mostly I) get at the challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment