Pages

Thursday 7 March 2013

On having a hairdresser with an agenda of his own

I wonder if the relationship I have with my hairdresser is the same kind of relationship religious people have with god. You come in with an idea of what you want him to do, and you end up with whatever he feels like giving you today. Justin works in mysterious ways. He'll lure you in with a friendly "Hey blondie, what's up?", ask what you want and proceed to give you... something completely different.

 
I cut my hair at Sivletto, a really sweet rockabilly joint I found a few years back. When I had long hair I used to style myself in a rockabilly way pretty often, and that's where I found Justin, the tattooed and awesome hairdresser from sunny California, who has a bitching style, appreciates crazy hair and has a habit of not listening to instructions after I've given him free reign to do what he wants so many times. "Cut the sides and the back", I told him today, so he chopped off half of all my hair, pulling the other half downwards around my neck saying he wants it to grow that way. In my head I'm going "W-w-wait, you're done? But you only cut half!", and then when I realize that yes, this is what he was going for, "Dude, you know this is my hair right?" Goddammit Justin, just do what I say for once.
(_ _|||)

But secretly I kinda like that it's almost our hair more than my hair, because he never fucks up. Seriously. Even when it starts growing out it grows out with purpose. It always comes out different than I expected and probably more edgy, and I trust his judgement as a straight man, but fuck, I wish I knew his game plan beforehand. I could always go to someone else, someone who just does what they're told, but let's face it - he's the best, even when I don't understand what the fuck he's about at first glance. While I decide the day-to-day stuff, he sets the tone for the long run and has done since he started cutting my hair nearly three years ago. I don't let anyone else come near me with scissors. When he cut it short in November he even said delightedly "We're going to have so much fun when it starts growing out!" (人´∀`).☆.。.:*・
so this appears to be as much a joint endeavor to him as it is to me.

Sometimes I wonder why he even asks what we're doing today. It's funny in a way - what I get is always different from what I ask for, but same enough so that I can't really complain about him not taking directions properly. He just takes them, and finds some sort of loop-hole to do what he thinks will look cool. It's not the first time I've seriously questioned it on my way home, but I always come around. I get used to seeing my reflection and stop freaking out normally within about a week (and start liking it, if not before then, then sometime around then). I guess this is what it's like for all those girls who cry on Top Model after their makeover. I'm not saying I want to cry (far from it!), but I can relate to the feeling of someone changing your look to something they think looks good. Shit's scary.

I only hope it 'll look...

...more like TOP...

...and less like Judi Dench once I style it my way.
If the moon crashes into the earth, the zombie apocalypse strikes, pigs learn to fly and I decide that no, I don't like what he did even after the adjustment period - no fear! My hair grows super fast. So until then - in Justin we trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment