Pages

Saturday 2 March 2013

On the universal language of fashion - Project Runway Korea S1E1

I'm finally getting around to posting about Project Runway Korea. Watched the first episode a few days ago, but I've been swamped so I haven't had time to report on it. Good fun though - the clothes were edgier and more creative than the American version. Then again, all clothes were edgy in a similar way, which leads me to think that while Korean fashion in general leans more towards high fashion, the designers participating are working in much the same way as the American ones, only with a different aesthetic. Still, it was enjoyable. Didn't understand a word of it of course, but I've watched enough Project Runway in my day to be able to get the general gist of it.

Die die die.
This weeks challenge was about taking two items from a competitor's suitcase and turning them into an outfit. I can only speak for myself, but I'd stab someone with my sewing scissors if I had to give up my bag for that. I mean, I'd pick outfits to show on TV - lord help anyone who'd fuck that shit up. I miss Tim Gunn of course, although I do kinda like soft-spoken Kan Ho-sup, despite having no idea what he's talking about at any time. Judges seem to follow the standard supermodel-editor-designer scheme, with Lee So-ra as a Heidi Klum stand-in who never smiles as far as I can see, ELLE Korea's Editor-in-chief Shin Yoo-jin as Nina Garcia and Korean designer Kim Seok-won as Michael Kors. I hope his comments are as flamboyant as his predecessor.

Ooh from the front. Whaaaat? from the back.
First winner of the season is the adorable Lee Woo-Kyung, who made a rocking pair of pants out of a dress shirt. I love the top as well, the back is nuts but in a good way, and the front is adorable. This hit the runway and I was sure I'd stay hooked on PRK for quite some time to come. I love her Velma-from-Scooby-Doo-look, it's strangely similar to the drummer from the Wagwak big the other day. Moving on to the other high scores.

Spacey and awesome.
Kim Hong-bum strikes me as some serious competition. While it's what our own dear Michael Kors would've called "a lot of look", I really like the space aesthetic, and the shape is really interesting.
This looks like it stepped straight out of Weekday s store.
This I would wear a million times over, probably with even more layering just for the hell of it. It's a really cool look. The shapes look modern and while I hate spaghetti straps I think that the overall look was strong enough for me not to hate the individual flaws. Nice one, Lee Seung-hee. I'll keep my eye on you.
That blouse is killer.

On Nam Yong-seop, why do you have to look so much like a Korean version of my idiot ex-boyfriend? I want to like you, but your face is fucking it up. I like what you did - the way the jacket rolls up looks a bit weird to me, but all in all it was a well-made look.

So cute!
I really like Choi Hye-jung, not only because the dress she made was adorable, but also because she's adorable herself. She speaks so slowly and softly, and sounds like she's putting a question mark at the end of every sentence. Squee!

A perfect slow-day-at-home-dress.
Another good one is Chung Jae-woong. I love this dress, it looks so comfortable yet really cool. Makes me think of Comme des Garçons. I love how everyone's profile picture is cooky as well. Oh Asia, you do everything so cute.

That strap... it s hypnotizing.
Can't... stop... staring... at... penis... strap...

Nice, but a little bland.
Why is everything on this runway grey? I mean, in Japan we'd joke about every single woman in the country wearing tan, but sheesh, do Korean designers all love grey? I mean, I think it's an awesome colour, but it just struck me that no-one seems to be doing strong colours (apart from Yong-seop's purple blouse). Will be interesting to see how it will develop. That being said, this outfit was perfectly fine. Not awesome, not bad.

Girl, that hat is cray-cray.
And here I was asking for colour. Also a perfectly fine dress. A little boring even, and I can't say I'm feeling the blue tartan. That being said, I'm a little lost for words on the styling though. That hat. THAT HAT. It's insane.

Eh... no.
Did not like this one. First of all, it looks really awkward. Second, what's up with all that puckering at the seams? The attempt at colour blocking was a good idea, but the execution was lacking. Don't like the braided straps much either. On to the bottom.

Farmer s daughter?
I like Yoo Sang-euk (and not just because he's ridiculously cute either. I mean, look at that picture, he's adorable.), and while I don't think his outfit was that bad, I don't think it was all that good either. The fit doesn't look too bad, I think the back looks great and I can kinda get the idea behind the top, but the fabric choices are off. It's also really really short. Come on Sang-euk, make me not regret my extremely shallow rooting for you.

Meh.
A little sloppy. The back doesn't look like it's coordinating much with the front - some confusion there.

Cyber ninja?
This woman looks like a serious Disney villain. I wonder if that's some mandatory thing for Project Runway in general? Cast someone who looks like they might enjoy puppy for breakfast? Anyways, there were too many elements involved in this, from the Assassin's Creed hood, to the obi belt, to the Hot topic skirt. Not great.
...ew.
That being said, I totally agree with this getting kicked out. The bustier looks awkward, and while it wasn't horrible by conventional early-in-the-game Project Runway standards, it was clearly the worst of the bunch.

All in all a series that shows promise, and the design choices all seem to be of a style that's more interesting than a lot of the American designers. Going to be fun to see if it'll hold up all the way through the season as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment