Pages

Saturday 2 February 2013

On watching Project Runway obsessively, S11E1

Two weeks of crazy amounts of work and I'm back to this small backwater blog filled with silent readers. Well no matter, hello void, I'm here to spew some new stuff into you.

Lately I've been insanely busy with school, working 24 hour shifts and all that. It's rough, but it's part of the job. In any case, I see it as a preparation for the day when I'll have to conform to Japanese work ethic. Hello migraines, goodbye spare time.
Also hello Asian men. Unfortunately not all Japanese guys look like Daisuke Ueda. *sad face*


Anywho, having (almost) left the latest architecture project behind (at least the work portion of it, presentation's tomorrow morning), I'm totally looking forward to being a lazy fashion fag hag again before my workload picks up with the next project. Of course I'm hyperventilating over the new season of Project Runway. Team challenges, meh, not so much, but there are so many good people this season! I've been an avid watcher since season 1, and being a sewing maniac myself, it's one of my absolute favourite shows.

Impressions so far, left to right. Top row: Uhm..., No., Hm?, Kinda cool, Definately cool, Who s this again?, Also cool, Crazy obsessed Native American lady. Middle row: Who?, Who?, Fabulous guy but wtf was up with that outfit?, Who?, Who? Bottom row: That s the cat guy, right?, Self-absorbed bitch, Aww look at the cute tiny Asian.
 So what did I think about last week's episode? Well Mr Uhm (who struck me as really questionable with all that astrology talk) did make a really awesome dress that I'd wear in a heartbeat. Shame on me for doubting someone's skills because of their dubious ideas.

I 'd wear the hell out of that dress.
 While looking for pictures of it, I came across the official page with comments on it, saying how totally tasteless it was. Someone even said it looked like a freaking prison uniform. What kind of fabulous prisons have these people been hanging out in? Were they arrested by the fashion police to have some sense hammered into them? Once again I'm flabbergasted by how boring the average American appears to be, fashion-wise. I mean, that would really sell in Europe (and probably Asia too), but goddammit people, not everything has to be Tommy Hilfiger or American Apparel. Cute tiny Asian (also known as Tu, apparently) also impressed me. My roomie Pony joined me in drooling over it. So cool!
Do want.
Ms. Hm? made a dress for Zoe from Firefly.
Space cowboy couture.
Really. Not that it's a bad thing or anything, but you know, kinda done I guess. But I mean, oh my god.
 
Just add a holster and we're good to go.


*drools*
 The fabulously awesome Hispanic man with the fabulously awesome accent and equally fabulously awesome mustache made that in one freaking day!? I wanted to stick my hand through the screen and rip it right off the model. So psyched to see what he'll do next. He's totally my new gay crush. Probably because he looks like a bad guy from a Disney movie. Pony doesn't agree with me there ("It looks like his mustache is crawling out of his nose").

Delicious irony.
 My favourite part though probably was the snooty bitch failing miserably. Yes, I'm mean, but come on, when someone says stuff like "I'm going to win this so all the others can just pack their bags and go right now", "I'm definitely going to make it to the top 3", and "I haven't seen much of what anyone's done so far, but I think I'm one of the strongest designers here", and then get booted off in the first episode is poetic justice.

I noticed this weird thing the other day as I was discussing Project Runway in school with a friend. Apart from probably appearing to be a fashion fanatic (OK, maybe just a Project Runway-fanatic), being able to name pretty much any designer and season from just hearing about the challenges, along with frantic hand gestures and opinionated comments. Moving on to Top Model ("Oh my god, I love that Bryanboy is part of the jury now. I love love love him.") and Top Model Sweden ("I wasn't going to watch it but then I heard that they're being photographed by Nigel Barker!" *gushes*), I realized (not without a lot of pleasure) that I'd make an absolutely fabulous fashion-interested gay man. I reveled in my gayness for a while, until Pony burst my bubble by saying that what I'd really done was act like a really girly girl rather than a gay man. I never thought of it like that (generally I kinda dislike girly girls and the only people I know who act like I just did are gay men, so go figure). I felt a million times less fabulous. Oh well.

There's such an abundance of lovely gay men in the world. Referring back to Project Runway, Tim Gunn is one of my absolute heroes. Pony and I are both crushing hard. I do Tim Gunn impressions all the time ("Make it work!", "Quite frankly, I'm troubled.", "Bitch-slap that bitch!"). I can't claim to be as good as Santino from season 2 though. I can do a near-perfect George Takei "Oh myyyy" too, gotta love having useful skills. Anywho. Looking forward to this season. Should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment