Pages

Friday 22 February 2013

On misogyny and perpetuated stereotypes

I've been so hooked on listening to Junsu these past few days. Don't know why. Might be the adorably bad English.



Also love the fact that we're kinda sporting the same hairstyle. Squee!

Moving on to what I was going to talk about: I was asked out in a really unflattering way on facebook today. Not from my facebook stalker (who's been uncharacteristically silent and un-stalker-ish), but from someone I'm not even entirely sure I know. A while back I was friended by someone who supposedly goes to my school, but I didn't recognize. I asked if I knew him, and he said no, but that he'd like to get to know me. Now this feels weird enough in and of itself, but I thought that I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.
Yeah, not smart.

He's hooked his facebook to the comments section of a newspaper, and the bullshit he spews is just amazing. It's infantile and embarrassingly stupid. What really pushed me over the I-don't-ever-want-to-be-seen-with-this-person-ever-edge was when a cooperation between produced RedOne and some random Swedish artist chick was announced and his comment was "Wow, she must've sucked and fucked him really good for that."

The facepalming red panda is back.
The misogyny is obvious and rather disgusting. First of all - while I don't know anything about this singer, I'm offended by the mere notion that he automatically believes that she couldn't get to where she is without trading sexual favours with some man. How bad is his view on women for this to even pop into his head? Could no-one want to work with an attractive young female singer for any other reason than wanting to bang her? Is she a giant pussy on legs?

Pictured: a pussy on legs.
Is the idea of a woman rising on account of her merits so foreign to him? I don't get it. And then he messages me and goes "So, when are we meeting up?" How about never. Does never work for you?

It feels so much like a high school jock to be like "hurr durr she's a cunt". I don't know why anyone would want to meet anyone who seems to have such a derogatory view of the opposite sex. It's like he's trying to score internet tough guy points by being a complete douche in comments where he's safe and (kinda) anonymous. I'm embarrassed for the guy and saddened on account of his attitude which should've died out with the dinosaurs. Besides, using a woman's sexuality to say that she's a bad person just perpetuates the stereotype that women should never enjoy sex and strive to stay 'pure' and conform to someone else's idea of what constitutes a 'virtuous' way to have sex.

There is no virtuous way to have sex. Or rather, all (consensual) sex is virtuous and fine. Whatever goes on between two consenting adults is no-one else's business. Everyone has a sex drive (asexuals being the obvious exception), and being male or female has nothing to do with how strong it is. Why the idea that the woman is 'the lock' and man 'the key' is perpetuated I really don't understand. There's this societal pressure that sex should be fluffy and pink and loving for women, while men should just 'take what's theirs' and leave before the girl wakes up the next day. It's bullshit. Having a lot of sex doesn't make anyone a better or worse person, same as having no sex at all. If everyone could just do what they feel works for them, and just not give a crap about what others say or think, that'd be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment