Pages

Wednesday 22 May 2013

On knits and being a 60's time traveler

Real men knit.
I've started knitting again. I'm aware that a lot of my hobbies are positively granny-esque, and knitting's definitely on the top of that list, but it's fun and it gives me the right amount of analytical thinking what with all the counting involved when it comes to complex patterns. I read somewhere that knitting is relaxing and stress reducing in the same way as yoga is, and I'm sure that can be true. This pattern I'm working on at the moment is pretty complex and a little bit anger-invoking though, so I don't know. I've missed knitting though, I haven't had time to do it for a long time. I used to do it all the time and everywhere - on lectures, on the train, in cafés, and people, especially old people, would come up and talk to me or comment on it. I remember a really old man telling me with quite a bit of pride in his voice how he used to knit when he was young, and how proud he was to wear the things he'd made. While my social awkwardness leaves these conversations not running very smoothly, I still like hearing them, and I like people complimenting me or marveling about what I'm doing, as if it were some amazingly complex thing. It's not really, it's math - patterns and systems and numbers, only you're rewarded with something warm and cool-looking when you're done.
I love fall- and winter-wear. It generally goes in darker tones which I like, and rich earthy colours. You dress in layers, a lot of knits, and you're emphasizing being warm and cozy. I can totally relate, as someone who's cold all the friggin' time. I don't much want the summer to end just yet in favour of walking around in wool, but I can't help but think up amazing combinations to wear and things I want to sew. Generally I'm really in the mood to sew right now. My sister K's son is being baptized in a month, and since I showed up last time in a 60's inspired look to her daughter's baptism, I thought I'd pull a similar theme this time, although instead of a blue haired beehive and a vintage blue dress, I'll show up in my white Twiggy hair and an a-line dress in that crazy vintage green and orange paisley print my mom gave me.

Because the 60 s are awesome for androgyny.
Totally wearing my round vintage shades with it too. Pony says I look like Andy Warhol when wearing them. I say that's pretty cool, all things considered. I'm going to look like a 60's time traveler. It's going to be sweet.

Because fuck you, I 'm cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment