Pages

Friday 24 May 2013

On real life boogeymen and unexpected google results

Lately all of Sweden's been buzzing about a disappearance-turned-murder up north, which seems to have been particularly gruesome. A friend of mine has this place as his home town, and has been scouring forums. It's peaked my interest as well, and I can just say that this would probably make a pretty damn terrifying movie, Se7en-style. Love triangle drama in the deepest forests of the north, ending in what's rumoured to be a ritual killing? Chilling to say the least. The police have appeared to be pretty ham-handed, it's taken days for them to get anywhere at all.

Pictured: How I feel I look when hunting the forums for clues.
I get pretty fascinated with things like this. They're horrible crimes, and it's frightening to think about, but I'm curious at the same time what drives a person to do shit like this. What's the thought process behind it? Does someone who does something like this seriously think they'll get away with it? What's the motive? Boden's a small town, and reading through forums frequented by people who live there gives another dimension to the case. My friend even knows the brother of the guy they arrested for it. Reading through all the comments gives a more detailed picture of the whole thing than newspapers give, even if some of the rumours spread are best taken with not a pinch but like a packet of salt. Still, pretty damn interesting.

Regular horror movies don't scare me all that easily, since I refuse to believe that normal people would do as many stupid things as are done in horror movies, but documentaries and stories of things that actually happened freak me out in a much more compelling way. I mean, to know that someone like Ed Gein actually did exist and did all those fucked up things, or that Jeffrey Dahmer got away with his sick shit for years, or now this fucked-up guy from Boden. Real people are always scarier than boogeymen.

...on a totally unrelated note: I'd totally forgotten about the k-pop star called Se7en when I googled it. Hello pleasant surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment