Pages

Sunday 5 May 2013

On watching Project Runway obsessively, S11E14

I just realized I'm a million miles behind on posting about the finale of the latest Project Runway. Probably because the entire season in general was drab and boring, but you know. The last episode did do some work to kick it all into gear again. Not enough to really get me interested in another season mind you, but enough to keep Pony and me fairly complacent and complain-free.

 So without further ado, here's the bronze medal - Stanley.

The proportion of that jacket with those pants looks so odd.
Yeah, I just... no. It s better than when it was a dress, but eww. Just eww.
I still hate the jacket. Hatehatehatehatehate.
Boring.
Nooo why didn 't you listen, you were supposed to separate them!
Ugh, I have no idea what Michael Kors was smoking when he said he liked this, she looks like a 60 s housewife banana.
The model looks huge in it.
This was kinda cute, but it still looks extremely vintage.
"Hi, I 've come wrapped in a towel, is that cool?" Also, the fuck is up with those ugly-ass flower rings? That supposed to trick me into thinking that this collection is youthful?
PURGE IT WITH FIRE.
The one dress I actually liked, but only really on that model because of her skin tone.
This is such an obvious Marchesa rip-off I don t know what to do with myself.
Surprising no-one, the original Marchesa dress trumps Stanley s by lightyears.
This was probably the most boring collection I've ever seen. Christ Stanley, you say you're designing for a urban working girl? There's... there's just nothing in the entire collection that's urban, young or anything. Nothing. It was so boring I'd actually rather have seen Daniel come along and make a go at it. I was surprised also at how completely unprepared he was. Nothing was finished, and he was literally cutting and sewing models into dresses at Fashion Week. There's just no excuse when you have five months to put the whole thing together. Disgraceful.

Silver medal goes to the pow-wow princess Patricia, and in comparison to the atrocity we previously witnessed, it was well-deserved.

This came out, I went "Ugh" and Pony went "Ooh", so I 'm guessing it s a matter of taste. I 'm going with the fit being completely horrible though. No saviour there.
A time traveller from Woodstock. Seriously though, were those sleeves ever a good idea in any decade? Ever?
The fabric s beautiful, the actual creation... yeah, not so much.
Another lumpy look. Of course not all clothes have to be form-fitted, but some attention to body shape and proportion would' ve been interesting.
And suddenly a dress that feels really juvenile.
The red shirt under makes it seem kinda sari-like. It doesn' t tie in.
I kinda like this, crazy horse-hair and all, probably because of the crazy shorts. I' m not big on the top, but I thought the ensemble had a cute silhouette.
One of the few really interesting pieces in my opinion.
A much better look once the fit issue was sorted. But get rid of the scarf!
I like this, being much of a shorts-kinda-girl. It' s too bad that there' s no way you can tell that top 's manipulated leather without knowing it beforehand though. It looks like cotton, and while there s nothing wrong with that, it kinda defeats the purpose of textile manipulation.
Another interesting look.
Pony liked this far more than I did (although the crazy headdress is amazing). Then again, I 'm not a bling-kinda-girl.
As I've previously stated, both Pony and I agree on the fact that she's a very talented fabric artist, but as far as I'm concerned she has no business in fashion as is. Most of these things have no sense of scale or proportion, and I don't see them being worn by... well, anyone, save people like my aunt. That's not a compliment, seeing how my aunt is pushing 70, built like a bale of hay and has a love affair with boxy clothes with questionable fit, flowing details and incredibly strong colours. There wasn't much cohesion to be spoken of either. I'd say it's the best she's done all season, but given that I've hated pretty much everything she's ever produced, that's still not saying that I think it ever had much of a chance of winning. They say it's a competition about design, yet there's just no way that they'd back such a crafty designer without much commercial potential. The looks, while sewn in a beautiful fabric, are too simple. There's not enough design where it counts.

The time management issue came back to bite Patricia in the ass too, much like Stanley, in that she had like a million bags of fabric but absolutely no organization skills whatsoever. Poor Tim Gunn seemed perplexed and upset to the point of tears seeing the mess piled up before him.

And now, for our grand winner... Michelle.

Pony and I both loved this. The colours are gorgeous.
I kinda like this too, although I don 't get the thing she does with the front panel. In my eyes it would' ve looked nicer if everything was the same length, but then again I like rationality.
Simple yet cute.
I loved this. I think the tie is magic.
Pretty nice, a little bulky around the neckline maybe.
I still don' t like this look, I think there 's way too much going on here.
The coat 's great, but could 've done with removing some of the bazillion bags Michelle 's just thrown on there. Less is more, buddy.
Simple, elegant and wearable.
I still love this sweater and I' m still equally confused about the chaps. Pony liked them though.
The last-minute yellow top is terrible. Should 've never seen the light of day.
Best look of the entire collection (or all collections seen this season, I 'm not picky). Can' t believe Tim Gunn wanted it out. It's great. And I love the hat with it! Gives it more flair. Gonna need to knit me one of those.
This is where it all kinda bellyflops, unfortunately. The proportions are kinda off and weird, and I just don t see how it fits in with the rest. Unfortunate.
Clearly the one deserving of the win. Professional, well-prepared and with the most cohesive and interesting collection. Some of these looks were a bit much, but all in all I really enjoyed seeing it all come together. Any other collection winning would've been a total scandal.

Fun thing about Michelle's collection though - the two sweater pieces that I fell in love with were both made by Joe from earlier in this season, which just brings me to wonder what he could've brought to the table given more time. I thought his elimination was unfair as it was happening too, but now I just wish I could've seen more from him.

Ah well. Enough time devoted to clothes, now onto architecture. Hand-in in nine days, countdown starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment