Pages

Friday 10 May 2013

On divine critiques and rental issues

Sunday I was hit square in the face by a migraine. Hoping for just some sympathy, I told Hemingway about it. Hemingway, convinced that I was dying or something, tore over to my place to make tea for me, do all my dishes and feed me sandwiches with delicious jam from Singapore. Do I even need to tell you guys how touched I was? "Have you eaten anything?" "It was warm food right?" "Do you have a fever?" I feel so pampered, it's great. Apart from that we've been hanging out a lot, which while it distracts me from the work I need to do, feels really nice. I'm not always good with being with people for a long period of time without breaks, especially in stressful situations, since I have a pretty big need for privacy, but it's worked out better than I expected it to. I feel really relaxed, and I'm happy with the situation. I'm sure I'll be happier once this hand-in is over and done with though.

Jesus loves architecture.
I kinda need pampering now, having just another four days to finish everything up. It feels daunting, but I know I'll get it done. I've done more in less time, and while the result kinda ends up looking... well, less than I'd wish they would, it gets done. Talked to our friendly Barcelona examiner yesterday, and he made me feel like I was totally on the right track with everything. Gotta love Jesús, if not for how calming he is, for being able to say Jesus instead and pretending like every interaction has religious significance. "I met with Jesus today." "Jesus likes my project." "Jesus said that bamboo grows just fine in the Swedish climate." I've also found out that for my final critique, I'm getting critiqued by the man in charge of all of years 1-3 here at architecture school - probably the friendliest man in the world, who just happens to look a lot like the bat-shit crazy David Icke. When I told Jesus about it, he laughed and said "so you must be feeling pretty calm about that then." and yeah, I am. This David Icke-clone is the reason I stuck with architecture school actually.
Way back in year one I had problems with my teachers. In retrospect I probably wasn't the easiest student to deal with either, since I'm pretty head-strong, and prone to stubbornness when I disagree with others. Anyway, our aesthetics were totally different, and they would berate everything I did. I was so angry and sick of all of it that I wanted to quit and do something else with my life. Then I was critiqued by the David Icke-clone, and everything changed. Everything my teachers didn't like, he liked, and watching their faces turn sour when their boss was praising something they'd hated made me smug beyond belief. It was at that moment that I learned that school, architecture and life in general is extremely subjective, and that no matter what I do, someone out there, somewhere, will think it's good. I learned to stop caring, which was probably the most liberating thing that could've happened and lead to so much growth. It's how I grew into the stubborn grouch I am today. I'm happy to end my years at architecture school showing him what he helped make. I don't feel very nervous about it at all.

A bit like Bob Ross really.
What I do feel a bit nervous about is what Pony told me this morning - apparently our student housing changed the rules of our lease without informing us properly, and now want to throw us out by August. Obviously we've appealed the decision, since Pony's still in school and neither her nor G would handle trying to find an apartment all that well right now. We like our home, we don't want to move. It just makes me really nervous, coming now when I really don't have the time to consider anything like that, mid-hand-in panic. I called my lawyer friend for advice and emotional support, and he says we probably have a pretty strong case and that he'd talk to some friends of his that do more of that kind of stuff. I'm so happy I have a friend I can go to for legal advice, and since he was the one who got me the spot in the apartment (and the apartment for Pony and G in the first place), he's like our go-to house guru. We have to wait until the end of next week to hear the decision, so there's nothing I can do at the moment. Just gotta wait, see what happens. Ah well, it'll work itself out.

No comments:

Post a Comment