Pages

Sunday 28 July 2013

On hair woes


I've been having some serious hair issues lately, both due to being broke and being totally unable to make my mind up. I'm at a loss about everything - colour, style, length... and whenever I think I've made my mind up, I end up changing it again the next day. Everyone tells me different things. Guy friends and Hemingway think I should let it grow longer. Girl friends think I should cut it short again (which is funny, since short hair apparently made me super-hot to every single lesbian I know). When I mentioned I was thinking of getting a bob haircut to my dad, he scoffed and went "That hairstyle's way too boring to suit you", following up by telling me how great the short hair was and how I looked "like a presenter on TV", which is the cutest dated compliment I've ever received. Mom voted for slightly outdated hair options but ended up going "Well, you have similar features, so get whatever looks good on her" when I showed her pictures of Agyness Deyn's short hair.

Because who doesn't want to look that awesome?
Agyness Deyn would look good in anything though, but thanks for the compliment, mom!
I'm at a loss. I kinda want bangs again, but the short hair has looked really cool, and I love the amount of maintenance needed to make it look awesome (*cough* none *cough*). It's great for androgynous days, it brings out really great features in my face, and looks really bad-ass. On the other hand, I miss looking cute. Tall women with short hair are seldom seen as cute as much as 'cool' or 'edgy', and sometimes I just like feeling like puppies and rainbows.

Or just really cool 60's style.
I mean, as much as I love G-Dragon and as hot as I think he is, I'm just not sure that I want to keep on looking like him. Not really sure how a faux hawk would work trying to find a job in such a conservative place as Japan either.

All that handsome might be distracting.
What is Japan's short-hair policy on women, I wonder. Could I get away with looking like Son Ga-in?

Because who wouldn't want to?
Or Narsha?

Because aww.
Colour too. I loved my lilac grey hair. Loved it. I'd missed extreme hair colours so much, but then when I dyed it pink for Greece though, I felt a bit iffy about it. The days of crazy attention seeking are kinda gone I think, or maybe I'm just not really big on pink hair with tanned skin. Looking through old pictures on my computer from two years back, I really liked the way the blue looked on me, but keeping that looking good meant spending a whole lot of time and money on it, and look how pale I was! That was commitment.

Awkward posey picture, but still.
Bleaching my hair is a bitch, since my hair grows really fast, is really dark and there's just so much of it. I've been contemplating dying it back to a dark colour, either dark brown or black or something. On the other hand, I feel bad for it, because I've come to kinda like my light hair and getting it to this stage of almost-white took some serious bleaching and messing up. Re-dying it dark would destroy the whole thing. Hemingway's been rooting for red hair, but again, I'm not sure it really goes with my skin tone, and also red short hair tends to make people think I'm a flaming dyke. I didn't make up the prejudice rule book, take your stereotype complaints up with someone else.

Seriously, I don't really know what to do. My hair's an absolute mess now as is. Confusingly enough, O's boyfriend's first comment when he saw me at Sand's on Friday was "Oh my god, I love your hair! It looks so good right now!". Shit. If a girl can't trust her gays for hair advice, what's the world coming to?

No comments:

Post a Comment