Pages

Tuesday 2 July 2013

On mystery books and lolita bitchery





I found a mystery book at the bus stop today, a Swedish translation of Robert Specht's The Soul of Betty Fairchild. Just from paging through it and seeing that it's about a girl who gets possessed by the spirit of a murdered 1960's girl tells me it might be interesting. I'll see if I get tired of reading Jane Austen and dreaming of really classic gothic lolita dresses in my favourite shades of grey.
Because
I
just
cant
live
without
pretty things.
I don't know how into lolita fashion you guys are, but I've been an admirer (mostly from afar) for the past ten years or so, mainly because it's a damn expensive hobby, and that I've felt a bit too tomboyish and tall to do it justice. Pony has a fair amount of dresses, and we've been to meets and dressed up nicely (although I've generally felt more comfortable in kodona), and it's all fun.

Because it's so damn cool, that's why.
But seriously, the amount of shit spreading in these communities is astronomical. I feel bad to say it, but I love it. The intrigues, the drama, it's so high school, with the decided added bonus of not being part in them at all. There's so much bitching going on, and I love me some bitching, especially when it's done by people who are supposed to be so damn cute and demure all the time. They all sound like they're straight from Mean Girls. It's entertaining in a pretty perverse way.







This one's probably my favourite of all time. Brand = Happiness apparently, someone should've told me.
So. Much. Hostility.

They started ranting about the girl in charge of the Stockholm community for a while, because she made money for her massive Angelic Pretty wardrobe by stripping (which she told Pony and me the first time we met her while still claiming it was hush hush), and all hell broke lose. Not that I'm all that bothered by anyone stripping, but it's interesting how extremely upset people can get by what's said about them online. I guess it's pretty obvious now that I think of it - you're surrounded by people you think like you and are your friends, but then they write something shitty about you for the global lolita community to see. Then again, if you were to give a shit about what people would have to say on Behind the bows, then I'd probably be chewed out for even wanting to wear lolita, despite being a tall girl with long legs and short hair. You'd think that there was no greater crime than to show your knees and not wearing a wig.

No comments:

Post a Comment