Pages

Saturday 1 June 2013

On brain scans and clan mentality

The very cute and rather stiff doctor from the sleep deprivation study contacted me today to ask if I wanted a picture of my brain, by sending me an email (subject line was "Picture of brain?") going: "Hi, we really appreciate you taking part in our MRI experiment. Would you like a pdf with a cross section of your brain?". The nerd in me riots with happiness. Obviously I should've answered his email with a subject line of "Picture of brain!", but I was too eager to get my hands on, well, my head to think of it before hitting the send button. I mean, who wouldn't want a picture of their brain? It's so creepy-cool.




So yeah everyone, this is the inside of my head. I don't know anything about brains or what goes where really, so I kinda wish someone could look at it and go "Oh, that part is bigger than this part, and that means bla bla bla", although I guess they did that in the 30's and it lead to some pretty gruesome shit, so maybe I shouldn't hope for it. Anywho, it's interesting to see how intricate and in a way beautiful the brain is. It's my favorite organ and something I value very highly in myself, so it's cool to be able to be a little better acquainted with it.

In a way, getting a picture of my brain was a perfectly ironic way to describe my day - I was completely out of it the whole time. Sand had asked me to go out with her and Knives Chau for a girl's night, but Friday morning rolled around and I just felt like crawling into a hole somewhere and never coming out, much less drinking overpriced beer at a hipster place. We have fun when we go out, sure, but when I'm tired and overworked, I want to stay in, and the thought of making someone disappointed by doing what I want was enough to make me feel really stressed out and shitty about it. Did the right thing and called her straight away to talk about it though, so that I wouldn't freak out like I did last time this happened. Panic attacks suck.

So anyways, I spent the rest of the evening home with Pony, eating tacos and way too much chocolate, watching Community and generally having a really good laid-back time, much more restful and energizing than any bar I know. Hemingway came home after his after work with flowers, and I mean, there are only so many awws I can muster here - he blows me away. I've had one other guy I've dated give me flowers. That was seven years ago. I'm not a material girl in that I expect flowers or whatever, but just the sentiment and the way he does it without me mentioning a word about it is so sweet. It's all these little things (like the big inter-apartment wrestling match that followed) that just combine to make me really happy about all this. While brushing our teeth, Pony told me: "We've shown him Oruchuban Ebichu without him freaking out, we've wrestled and we've tormented each other. I approve of him. He's part of our clan now."

No comments:

Post a Comment