Pages

Sunday 23 June 2013

On family reunions and religious ramblings

I know I said I was going to sew a dress in four hours, but seeing how I passed out from being completely exhausted yesterday at midsummer's eve, the number one party weekend for swedes everywhere, at the tender time of 10 pm after having a nice yet uneventful night in at Sand's, I didn't much see the point of getting up early to sew something. Never fear though, I'll do it later this week and allow myself a little bit more time to do it too.

Today was spent with Hemingway and my family celebrating the baptism of my nephew, a baby I lovingly call Baby Bighead. My dad, being a minister, was in charge of the baptism, and me, being an atheist, sat in skeptical silence as always when it comes to church stuff. Generally I can live through a service without too much whining, but at one point in the sermon my dad was describing what it might be like for people when Christianity came for the first time by going "wow, how awesome to find a religion that allows me to just be who I am!" Sure dad, as long as you're not gay, or heaven forbid a woman who likes sex, wear clothes made with mixed material fabrics, or ever feel like eating shellfish. If there's one thing religion just doesn't do, it's accept people for who they are. That's like the basis of all religion - impose rules on other people to make them more to your liking and easier to control.

Pictured: Religion.
I'm probably the only one in my family who's an outspoken atheist after all. All of my nieces and nephews are baptized, my siblings all had church marriages and my cousin's going to school to become a minister. I don't boycott religious activities generally by not showing up, but I'm sure as hell not singing hymns or reciting prayers. I'm actually kinda against baptism generally, when it comes to small children. I think that religion should be something that's an informed decision - deciding from the start that a child is supposed to belong to one religion or another is imposing your morals and your world view on someone who could have a new and potentially more interesting take on it. It's a shame really, in my opinion.

Because you have no right to limit what goes on between consenting adults.
All the while it's always nice to hang out with family. My sister Hannibal even made an appearance from up north with her two sons, one of whom reacted to every hymn by sticking his fingers in his ears and trying to touch his nose with his tongue. My kind of kid. My family isn't generally super religious, and they're not particularly homophobic or bigoted, so it's not really that big of a deal. Baptisms are a family tradition and a convenient way for family that lives far away to convene and see the new baby, have some coffee and cake, and generally have a good time. It's the same reason I celebrate Christmas and Easter - it's not linked to religion all that much anymore, but more to meeting family members and having a good time together. Now that I read through this, I'm aware that it's coming across kinda whiny. Sorry about that, silent readers. I had a good day, despite religiously rebellious thoughts.



Also, apologies about being slow in posting about my vacation. I've been busy ever since coming home yesterday. I'm just happy to have some time to be writing again. Man, ten days without internet really leaves you thirsting for civilization.

No comments:

Post a Comment