Pages

Thursday 6 June 2013

On killing wedding guests and checking out apartments

Third nightmare about school in as many nights. Maybe this means that I'm finally letting go of some of that tension.

After another stop at the Asian super market, Hemingway and I went to meet up with a friend of his to check out the apartment that Hemingway will be staying at.

Because these places are magical and I need to try everything at least once. Not jellyfish though, they're scary.
Pony and G even cleared out another shelf for us in the fridge, since "You actually like... eat now, and have groceries home, so you need the space." Not that I didn't eat before or anything, but food isn't a huge priority in my life. I can eat the same thing over and over without getting bored, and I generally eat pretty fast because life has a lot more to offer than that. Also, cooking for one person is boring.
Before he left for Hong Kong, Hemingway's housing contract ran out, so when he came back he was living at a hotel, and then later moved back to my place after coming back from a trip to the US. I like having him around, my roomies like having him around, but my room is like 8 m2 and it's a little cramped. The apartment was beautiful, and while I keep saying I don't think I want to live in Stockholm, Stockholm does have an amazing amount of breathtakingly beautiful old apartments lying around for anyone who's rich enough to buy them. Maybe I should use my architectural background to get into real estate? I mean, real estate anywhere else in the country probably sucks, but in Stockholm it's like "Sweet, so do you have one sports car or two?" When your commission is in % and no apartment in Stockholm ever sells for less than 1.5 million SEK no matter how tiny or decrepit it is, you've got it made if you're good at your job.

Although I only need one of these babies.
We spent the evening watching Game of Thrones with Pony and G, and man, that show just keeps getting better and better. I've read all the books, so I know what happens to all the characters (more or less, my memory's a bit shit sometimes), but seeing Pony and G crawl up into little cringing balls of OH MY GOD! was pretty entertaining.



Not unlike this. I wonder if this is what it's like to be George R.R. Martin?


Seriously though, I love a book (or TV series or movie) that doesn't take the plot in a straight line from A to B. When I was reading the A Song of Ice and Fire series, I would regularly miss stops on the bus or subway when I was too immersed in the book, as well as suddenly, mid-reading, gasp loudly and then immerse myself even deeper, because they're just that good. Seriously, if you haven't picked up a copy yet, do it. The way he just kills off important characters without hesitation creates so many twists and turns that you have no idea where the story's going to turn up next. Also, it's refreshing to read a book where the characters feel human, with faults and (believably) stupid ideas and everything's kinda on a grey-scale, rather than conventional fantasy (or any kind of) literature where there's a good side that does heroic deeds after initial setbacks, and a bad side that look overwhelmingly powerful but are beaten by the power of love or magic or whatever other silly thing the author stuck in there as a deus ex machina.

In the end, anything worthwhile is something that will surprise you and catch you off guard. The things you remember are the things that exceeded your expectations, or turned out to be different from what you expected. Books, movies, life... they're kinda all the same after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment