Pages

Wednesday 19 March 2014

On bohemian apartments and schools being just as terrible as I remember them

Sometime after breakfast today I had this intense desire to just be somewhere else, and decided that today was a Knives Chau day. Basically we just sat doing some work together, me revising and her doing stuff for her exchange year in Switzerland, drinking smoothies and coffee and listening to chill music. I don't think I've ever had a day go by so fast, or at least not for a long time. Even though I probably should have been out doing more, I feel like I'm getting past those feelings of stress that come from having a crazy work ethic hammered into you since childhood. Will I get it all done today? No. Will I get it done in time? Yes. There's no need to freak out about it. Just be cool.


I had to run by my old junior high school as they'd still failed miserably to send anything at all. Going back to that hated place was weird - nothing had changed in the slightest. It was still every bit as anxiety ridden as it was ten years ago. When I'd introduced myself to the office staff, they went "Oh hey, it's you. We didn't understand your email at all. What is it that you want?" and I found myself kinda flabbergasted that none of them had bothered to answer it, nor answer the phone when I called, despite sitting by their computers next to their phones and looking like they hadn't left that position all day. I got my letter quickly enough, pretty much dictating it myself to the secretary and getting it signed by some woman in charge of... something, I don't know. I was just happy to get out of there with the final paper needed to get this show on the road.

I haven't had good wontons since Hemingway left. Oh Cantonese cooking, how I love thee!
I should've gone to get my picture taken. I should've gone by school to print all my stuff. Suddenly, it was past six and I was still at Knives' house, at which point I decided to just go 'fuck it' and finish everything tomorrow. It's still completely doable. I needed to just hide someplace else today, sampling Chinese dumplings that Knives' mom had made (which were meat and I ate against my better judgement, as my stomach is wreaking havoc on me right now), revising at my leasure and looking at apartments in Tokyo. I found a few interesting candidates, but was rather quickly dissuaded from a few by one of my friends when I showed him one I was thinking of. "Look, it looks like a nice apartment and all, but... well... there are lots of brothels in that area. You don't want to live there. Those hotels nearby? 90% Love Hotels." I mean, I did want to come to Tokyo and be bohemian like the writers of Paris in the 20's or whatever, but shit, not to that degree.

I kinda have found a place in Akabane that I've fallen in love with a little though. There's one near Kita-Ikebukuro that I really like as well. I get really excited and start daydreaming about furnishing them and living out my happy existance in them. I don't really think of life outside of my would-be apartment all that much. I think about going grocery shopping and maybe stopping to pet the neighbour's cat, but apart from that, it's all about how I'll read books by the window or drink tea watching the rain come down. My mom will never hesitate to tell me that reality isn't what I wish it were, and really I know that, but a girl can dream, can't she? And I dream of sitting on the floor on a nice cushion with some indirect light coming in through the window, as I'm contemplating the wakame sallad I'd be planning for lunch. That's what people do when they're abroad right?

...and lounge dramatically.

No comments:

Post a Comment