Pages

Tuesday 12 November 2013

On nervous new people and Adventure Time

Why is this not my hair? Stupid work dress codes.
Pony came over today with all her hair chopped off and a really cool purple colour. It looked pretty sweet, and I was instantly jealous that I couldn't dye my hair funky colours as well. I'm so sick of my hair, but since I'm letting it grow out I don't want to touch it. I kinda wanted to go by Pony's apartment, take her hair and glue it to my head though. I miss fun hair. Being an adult with adult hair is far less fun than people make it out to be.


Speaking of work, you guys remember the half-Japanese kid I wrote about the other day? He's apparently a trainee sushi chef/miniature Shan, and is working tomorrow to Shan's great annoyance. "Tomorrow I'm staying until 10 pm to train the new kid," he grumbled. "He's absolute crap." Apparently his 'previous experience of working at a sushi bar in Japan' was limited to being a busboy and doing dishes. It feels weird to hear Shan speak of people like that since he's always so nice to me and the other girls, and I kinda feel for the kid and hope he was just nervous. Apparently he worked his first night on Saturday and bombed pretty bad. Karate Husband's apparently not all that impressed either. I feel far less threatened and more likely to let him catch a break now that I know that he's not after my job.

Maybe I should try to go for his job instead.

I wonder what the stories around the water cooler were when I started. I must've proved myself useful despite my obvious lack of experience as they kept me on. Maybe it was because I tried really fucking hard at everything because I wanted a job so much. Maybe the kids needs an air of desperation and gratitude towards the Karate Family for giving him a chance. Become fiercely loyal, kinda like a stray pet. I do like my restaurant family though. They're all good to me, so the least I can do for the new guy is to be just as good to him.

Work was slow, as Mondays tend to be, and I wished I would've brought some studying materials or something. That being said, for pure slowness alone, Mondays are becoming my favourite work day. Sure, it heralds the dawn of a new week of potentially shitty customers and stressful Thursdays and Fridays, but Mondays leave room for breathing and laziness, and that's restful.

I've had Marceline's fries song from Adventure Time stuck in my head all evening at work. Felt kinda strange to be walking around a sushi joint singing songs about fries.


I watched way too much Adventure Time while sewing, as it's one of those shows you can just keep on as background noise and you'll be in a zone of constant mild entertainment. I ended up dreaming strange Adventure Time dreams and feeling kinda generally obsessed. I even used an episode as an exercise for the TEFL. It's a good show, but oh so messed up sometimes. Then again, now that I think of it, cartoons have always been violent and filled with adult undertones. Just look at Tom & Jerry or Animaniacs, and that's not even mentioning Ren & Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life or Courage the Cowardly Dog. Those shows were pure fuck-up, and I loved them. I think Adventure Time is just picking up the slack, fucking up kids the same way we were fucked up back in the day. It makes me feel good things for this generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment