Pages

Monday 17 November 2014

On workouts and pig-outs

Usually, when people move to Japan, it's pretty common that they lose weight. After all, Japan has a lot of really good low-calorie foods, like sushi, and a lot of walking to keep people in shape. I, on the other hand, gained weight, probably mostly due to karaage, coffee drinks, alcohol and carbs galore. Not exactly happy about that, so when I went out on Saturday, I got myself a yoga mat. I tried out a 30 minute program that very night, and a 20 minute program the next morning, and was pretty embarrassed by how extremely weak I am. My whole body was shaking within the first ten minutes. I knew I wasn't all that strong, but to witness the full extent of my powerlessness did feel like a bit of a wakeup call.  You know what I was saying the other day about wanting to improve? Yeah, that wasn't me bullshitting. I'm actually going to attempt to find some mind-body-heart balance. Hell knows that would be a first.

The Tomsons like watching me do yoga. Not sure how I feel about that.

I do like it though. I feel like I'm improving pretty quickly, and coming home from work today it really did manage to lift my spirits a bit before bed. I'd been having a shit day for a host of different reasons, but just going home and sweating it out and concentrating really hard on holding the plank position until I'm cursing and hating my puny arms, and later feeling proud to notice that I could do it a little longer than yesterday is a good feeling.


I used to love running and all, but Ikebukuro having literally nothing that even remotely looks like a park and instead being filled with people and their homes, I feel super self-conscious running around, seeing as I get beet red and sweat like a pig whenever I'm exercising. I just don't feel up to it so much anymore, so doing half an hour of yoga a day may not help build my ability to endure for so long, but it's making my muscles stronger. If  I see improvement, I'm far nicer to myself than I am otherwise I guess.

Food is hard though. There's so much I want to eat. Like I recently just discovered the glory that is pizza topping-filled nikuman, and it should just be made the official winter food of all time. It's totally the most delicious thing to chow down on when it's cold outside, and only 120 yen (roughly $1). Hello lunch for the next few weeks until I get completely tired of it. Amazing stuff. Curse you for being so damn tasty, Japan!

No comments:

Post a Comment