Pages

Thursday 16 July 2015

On kindness and cosmic irony

So you know how I mentioned that everyone at the office is really nice and lovely to me? Well, they are. They really are.



My would-be-boss sent me an email today, asking how things were going with the bar design. "I know you are working so it might be difficult to find a time but it will be nice if you can take a ownership for the design of the lounge." When I heard about people getting architecture internships here in Japan, I always heard about unpaid people slaving in dark rooms with no area of their own, painstakingly building models and getting yelled at. At this firm, I have my own workspace in a bright bright office, and the first thing that happens is that they task me to design a swanky high end bar lounge (that I'd probably never be able to afford to drink in). Speaking of which, is it just a funny coincidence that I was tasked to design a bar, when that's the main reason all of this happened, or is it just some weird kind of cosmic irony?

Delicious boozy cosmic irony.

"By the way," my would-be-boss continued, "are you happy working in our office? You have just started so it might be difficult for you to judge but I hope you enjoy working in my office!" Seriously, that's even a question? He's not only given me the chance of a lifetime, but wants to make sure I feel alright about it too. If anyone was wondering how you inspire loyalty from your employees, this is how it's fucking done. Take note, Gaba.

No comments:

Post a Comment