Pages

Thursday 16 October 2014

On friendly concerns and furniture conundrums

Being in a bit of a slump, it was a really nice feeling to have today be the last day of the week. I was tempted to call in sick and take the day off, but I figured that I'd feel better if I just went in and busted it out, working through everything feeling shitty right now. One of my older coworkers, Andrew, looked at me and went "Wow, you look practically suicidal. What's wrong?" And yeah, while that doesn't exactly help me cheer up, I was kinda moved by the fact that he wasn't just saying it to be a dick. Andrew has no filter and will just spew out whatever he thinks of, but I could tell that he was actually coming from a place of kindness and concern. He kept trying to talk to me in the breaks between lessons, not accepting my "You know, stuff," as a viable answer, but really trying to get at the problem. It felt a little invasive, since Andrew isn't really the type of character I would spontaneously go to if I had a problem, but the thought was there, and that actually did make a difference. It made me feel better, all things considered. I just didn't think that my inner crappiness was so visible. Gonna have to work on that.

Things aren't so bad though, really. One of the new counselors, Yuki (also known as the 'super' counselor for apparently being a complete badass at her job), has really been growing on me. She's a real no-nonsense type person that you really want on your good side, because I have a feeling that she can wreck Havoc with a capital H. She's been serious about getting to know all of the instructors though, making sure to memorize the names of the seemingly never-ending stream of instructors, and that really makes a positive impact on me. Today we hung out for a bit in the breakroom and she was praising me to the high heavens for my Japanese ability and how natural it sounded having only studied a year, which also really boosted my mood. It's like the universe is kinda looking out for me, you know? Giving me people who are looking out for me in their own small ways. I mean, things aren't solved in any way, shape or form, but at least I'm surviving so far. If each day just looks a little brighter than the last, I can get through this dip in a reasonable amount of time, and that's a very attractive prospect to me. So far I've really liked this whole 'being happy'-thing that's been happening for most of my time in Japan, and I want that to continue, preferably indefinitely. I just need to work on it a little right now, that's all. Can't be sane all the time.


Tell it like it is, Ice King.

At least tomorrow I'm hitting IKEA to finally get some fucking chairs, maybe even a carpet. It's only been, what, four months without chairs? Or stools, or anything? I mean, I personally don't really use them, but it would make my place look a lot nicer and more put together. I love my apartment, it's my secret cave of wonder and relaxation, so I want to take care of it. It's home, after all. If I can curl up here and just hide whenever I need to, letting the worries of the world wash off of me, I think I'll be in a better place mentally. Me and my plants.






All in all, my day's been fine. Not the best I've ever had, but having finished work and just getting back home to binge watch the last season of Breaking Bad and trying to figure out what I want to do with my apartment feels rather nice.

I should buy a teapot and some slippers.

No comments:

Post a Comment