Pages

Friday 17 October 2014

On Swedish days and Snorlax wonderings

Man, trying to think of a good outfit for Halloween parties is hard! I decided on being the Snorlax, because hell, it's the easiest outfit imaginable, but there are so many questions. Will people get it? Will I look enough like the Snorlax for the resemblance to be there? How should I wear my hair? Should I make it into two little ear buns for when I want to wear the hood down, even if this plus my hood makes my head look enormous? Should I wear glasses or force myself into my old contacts, seeing as I haven't had time to get any new ones? Should I go for a cute or natural makeup? What shoes should I wear? What do I wear underneath this crazy warm outfit? I mean, Snorlaxin' ain't easy.


Chilling at IKEA in Funabashi was a whole lot of fun today. Peewee, living not too far away and apparently loving IKEA, decided to tag along as he had nothing to do for his day off, and made the whole shopping experience a lot more likeable. I've been feeling a little self-conscious about doing stuff like shopping on my own, since I like reinforcement that I have good taste, and Peewee was just the man for the job. Test-sitting every chair with me and patiently listening why the IKEA names are puns a lot of the time (even though he probably didn't care), we blasted through my shopping in record time, before doing some shopping at a nearby mall the size of a small Swedish town, heading back to Ikebukuro and eating some awesome curry for dinner. The larger stuff was too cumbersome to be moved by hand, so I'll have to wait for Thursday for it to be delivered, which kinda sucks a little bit. That being said, it was much nicer than having to lug two chairs, a small kitchen kart, a bedside table and a print of a deer riding a bicycle for an hour on public transportation, in rush hour. Gotta be happy for the little things.

Like being able to drink a beer (mine) with your meatballs and cinnamon bun (mine) and crayfish (Peewee's).

The self-professed IKEA worshipper himself.

Chinese people eat crayfish in a really weird way. Just watching is kinda magical.

All in all, it felt like it was a really Swedish day. I didn't think it would be as much of a pick-me-up as it actually was. I like to think that I don't miss things too much, but wandering around going "Hey, look, it's sill!" or "Wow, look, the books are in Swedish!" kinda made me realize that I've probably been needing a little taste of the motherland lately. Some things, like Swedish peach candies that my grandmother used to buy for me, just make things a little better.

Stupidly expensive but worth every yen.

No comments:

Post a Comment