Pages

Friday 12 September 2014

On pettiness, gangster Koreans and beautiful houses

So it seems like this is turning into more of a weekly thing than a daily thing, and it tends to focus mostly on the weekends. Seeing as my life kinda happens on the weekends, and weekdays kinda have 'work' written all over them. Isn't that everyone though? I mean, isn't that kinda... life? But yeah, bring it on, weekends. Let's let loose!


Whatever you guys do, never ever watch Lucy. Like ever. I went to see it last Friday, and it was pretty much the worst thing I've ever laid eyes on. Absolutely terrible. Like, no redemption-terrible. I mean, I do love me some evil Koreans for sex appeal, but I felt like they didn't even do that right.

Tolerable, but hardly more.

This is how you do evil bad boys, Hollywood. Watch and learn.




*cough* So yeah, sexy Asians. One good thing about the movie (apart from furious Google-ing of bad boy Koreans that followed) was the fact that I got some real donuts. Real donuts will save any day.

Although of course even Krispy Kreme is Japan-ified with macha donuts. God, I love those macha donuts though.

Saturday proved a little more cultural, hanging out with Manabu and letting him show me around Daikanyama, which is more and more turning into one of my favourite areas in Tokyo. That place has style. Especially the Tsutaya book store, although it also has a huge selection of music by artists with completely ridiculous names. I ended up having to explain to Manabu why I would sporadically snort with laughter while browsing the ailes, and try to give him a visual of what in fact a curly giraffe would actually look like. Any Photoshop wizards out there?



After we'd hidden from the icky heat for a sufficient amount of time in this temple of air conditioning, Manabu and I went to this old house that's nearby, that some random guy told the Philosopher and me about when we visited the same bookstore two months ago. For all his strange intensity and crappy English, it really was a beautiful house. I kinda lament the fact that I can't live in a house like that, seeing as a) there aren't really any of these houses left in Tokyo after wars and earthquakes and stuff, b) even if they're in the countryside, they're most likely ridiculously expensive both to buy and to maintain, and c) I'd end up whacking my head on every single doorway for the rest of my life. Seriously, who decided that 175 cm was a good height for doors?


 






Of course even Daikanyama can't be sophisticated and stylish all the time, as I learned approximately two minutes after leaving this dream home. How? Feast your eyes on this.

Having a Christmas shop in September? That's a beating.

My work week on the other hand was a little rough, partly because I've developed an aversion to sleep. I kinda can't do it properly anymore. It's one of those things I'm normally really good at, but I don't know if there are just too many things on my mind right now, because I just can't seem to ever get to bed at a good time. Even if I do, the moment my head hits that pillow I'll be wide awake again. It's super frustrating. Luckily, there's enough going on in my area for me to not be bored, even during night walks. Even if temples aren't open, it doesn't mean that they're not nice places to hang out at and just breathe a little. This is one of my favourite things about Japan. I love these temples. I love living five minutes from them, and I love feeling completely safe hanging around them in the dead of night.




Although the rest of Ikebukuro does look pretty good at night in the rain too.

I'm not sure why I haven't been able to sleep recently, but it might be a work stress thing. Lately work has been a little less awesome than it can be. Two weeks ago I had to sit through a mini course in how to handle clients that felt so patronizing that I wanted to die (or kill someone) for accidentally racking up another score of 2. Keep in mind that's my second EVER in my entire career of not teaching, and being a total introvert. I'm not everyone's cup of tea, I know that, but that was the only thing lower than a 4 I'd gotten all month. So I sat through the course, politely answering questions and trying not to give off too much of a vibe that says "Die" to my boss. Then, the same day (to make matters worse) I was about 4 minutes late to a lesson due to a misunderstanding. I apologized profusely, gave the client as good of a lesson as I could, and everything was fine, until things started to happen.

First, I got what they call an 'unexcused absence'. Now I can accept this, even though I don't find it completely fair, as I wasn't technically absent - just late. Then I noticed I was moved back to the area closer to my boss, where I was put in the beginning. Mark came by, jokingly asking who I pissed off. "They can't be that petty, right?" I thought, until yesterday I was put back in my old booth, next to the newbies. It was mortifying. Apparently one day of messing up by a matter of minutes was enough for me to be deemed unfit to sit by my friends and lose all my window booth privileges. It's ridiculous.

I thought I'd put in half a day at Akihabara this month on a Saturday, to make some money and hang out with Peewee for lunch before meeting other friends, and apparently that's the time that my boss decides that he needs me in Ikebukuro. I call bullshit. Give me back my window seat if you're going to pull this "You're important to us"-crap. I don't know if I'm still in the doghouse, being put in what I've dubbed 'the corner of shame' in the beginning of the week, with my position later seeing a slight improvement, but fuck, it's frustrating.


Then I end up feeling a little bad for being frustrated, because I know that my frustration stems from arrogance. I don't like being corrected. I don't like being reminded that I'm not constantly awesome. I caught myself feeling a little resentful for one of my friends correcting my Japanese with a more natural-sounding phrase. That's literally what I do every single day at work. I feel ridiculous for getting annoyed, but it's hard to help, and truthfully, I don't feel very motivated to change. I felt so unworthy and undeserving for so long that it's nice to actually want people to treat me the way I want and expect them to. I don't know if that makes me a bitch or not. I don't know if I care.

No comments:

Post a Comment