Pages

Friday 1 August 2014

On good trips and strange brains

 
I find it funny how my brain and body decided to go: "Oh, so the person who's been visiting is actually your boyfriend? Sorry, our bad." and suddenly dumping massive amounts of affection on me to spread around a week before the Philosopher left. Now I feel like all the hugs and cuddles. Awesome. Mom did tell me that things would be weird, but I feel a little guilty for how things have been recently. I wish this could've kicked in sooner. It's not like I've been aloof on purpose, but things haven't felt easy for me. And while we've spent a lot of time trying to iron out awkward issues that arose on account of everything being horribly weird (because there's like, what, half a world between us now?), I did really enjoy having him here, and we did a lot of pretty great stuff.



Like the Sumidagawa fireworks festival! Damn, that shit is crowded.

But going there in a brand new yukata made me happy enough to forgive my complete derp-face. Here's me embracing the derp. Let that be an inspiration to you guys.

We went with my friend Jun, who after taking us on the longest walk ever to Asakusabashi took us to a really nice izakaya where there was much needed beer to be had.

And this adorable couple that had been married for 30 years and bought us drinks and insisted we eat their squid sashimi. The woman took contact by offering me bandaids for my geta-worn feet, saying "Even kimon sleeves that graze are a meeting." First they complimented me on the Philosopher. Then, they tried to marry me off to their son.

Because fucking hell, these things massacred my feet.

We went to Kamakura.

Hung out on the beach, went swimming in the Pacific.

Took some tourist-y 'feet in the sand'-pictures.

We've been adorable...

...threatened by vampires...

...and almost eaten by sharks. What have you guys been doing lately?

Airports are funny though, aren't they (if you'll excuse the Seinfeld-esque way of changing the subject)? I mean, they allow for a lot of crazy emotional behaviour. Hello, bawling in the Departures hall. Then again, the second the person you're dropping off at the airport leaves you to go board, you suddenly stop looking like a sad (but ultimately cute) couple and turn into a lone crazy-looking person who cries in airport bathrooms. It's not nearly as endearing a look. I did have a soulmate moment with the annoying kid sitting across from me on the way back home though. He did what I wished I could do, and made it look damn comfortable too.

Live the dream, kiddo.

I'd be lying if I didn't say that I enjoy having my apartment back, too. Two people sharing 17m² is just not cool for an extended period of time. Finishing work felt strange though. I almost texted him to let him know I was on my way home, asking if he needed me to get anything from the store. Life huh? That shit's not easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment