Pages

Monday 14 January 2013

On linking fashion with architecture

Clothes and fashion rock.


There's something so intriguing about clothes, the way they can alter body shapes by hiding and revealing things you like or don't like about yourself. Dress for your body type and you'll look slamming. But also how a shift in shape or proportion can create a look that feels fresh and new. I've spent most of my winter holidays going through street style blogs, saving about a million pictures onto my computer for inspiration and falling madly in love with the designs of Yohji Yamamoto and Comme des Garçons all over again.

I mean, what's not to love?
Suddenly it would be 3 am and I wouldn’t even have noticed. My (admittedly rather embarrassing) obsessive watching of last season’s ANTM that featured the super-cool and oh so dreamy Bryanboy just amplified the whole thing as well. Goddammit, I love him and his silly hats.
Be still, my beating heart.
For much the same reasons as I love fashion, I love architecture. Taking something, tweaking it, twisting it a bit and Bam! Something potentially fabulous. Also potentially crazy and dangerous, but hey, can't win 'em all. Light, angles, lines and material make up a good house in much the same way that it makes up good design in fashion.


When T sent me pictures from the Ginza district in Tokyo the other day, he laughed at my being a wee bit obsessed about houses (T: "Ginza is really pretty in the evenings." Me: "Yeah, look at those lines, the buildings are amazing!" T: "Architecture geek."), but it's not weird really. I've always loved creative things (art, music, writing, reading, knitting, sewing, all that stuff), and they're all kinda linked in the way that they invoke feelings in the user/spectator/listener. Architecture is the same. By altering the space you're in, your perception of your environment changes. Being able to manipulate this is what drives me to do anything creative, really. I want you to see what <em>I</em> want you to see and feel what <em>I</em> want you to feel.

I'm not sure I could handle a job that wouldn't let me to be incredibly self-absorbed every now and again. I think it's good for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment