Pages

Friday 30 May 2014

On house shopping and boundless narcissism

Today turned into a day of apartment hunting. Hot apartment hunting in sunny Ikebukuro in near 30 degree weather. It was extremely tiring, and mid-walking I got my period early, so hey, that was fun. The rather small woman with the cute pixie cut who was out showing us the properties, Yagami, was really sweet, and walking for four hours between properties didn't really feel all that bad. The first was a traditional Japanese apartment with tatami mats, from sometime during the 80's. It was nice, and I was pretty tempted to take it, but in the end I went with the fourth property, on the top floor of a building overlooking a shrine close to Ikebukuro station. Mom argued that it would've been better to go with a bigger (and marginally cheaper) brand new apartment at Kita-ikebukuro, about 15 minutes from the station, but so much of the space was lost on a strangely large corridor, and the actual room was quite a bit smaller, on the second floor and overlooking a highway. Not so impressive. Dad took like a million pictures while I was filling out forms with the realtor, which was super awkward. As always I forgot to take pictures while out and about, but that shouldn't be too much of an issue. I'm signing the contract next Friday, and moving in next Saturday, so you'll be seeing a whole lot more of the final thing. Oh, and I'll be living like next door to a Muji store, so if you'll excuse me I've got some minimalist interior designs to consider.


 I called work to tell them that I have my life on track, i.e. that I've finished all things necessary for next week. My contact sounded like a mix between bored and annoyed to hear from me, which put me in a mix between concerned and pissy. I have this weird mix of narcissism and low self esteem going on, like one half of my brain is going "Oh my god, what did I do?" and the other half is going "Listen you fuck, you're the one who told me that I have a natural aptitude for teaching so come on and sound a little more enthusiastic". I think it's safe to assume that I'm a bit messed up in the head.

The initiation days worry me a bit, probably needlessly. I'm not really comfortable in the idea of me teaching anything just yet, but I'm hoping that things will settle down in my head once things settle down in my life, and maybe I'll be able to sleep a bit better and stop having weird nightmare, or crazy shakes while eating. Luckily, with the apartment business mostly figured out, I can take a breather tomorrow and maybe rest a bit.


For some reason Spotify seems to not want to work in Japan. This is pretty damn annoying. I would've wished that I wouldn't have to go back to my downloading days, but they don't get their asses on getting the service to Japan, they've kinda forced my hand. They won't even let me download it to my phone, even though I'm supposed to have some sort of access to it while traveling. Because I'm in a country where Spotify hasn't launched yet, I can't download the app, and for some weird reason it won't work on my computer either; it keeps going offline. Annoying. There's probably a way to trick it into thinking I'm in the right region, but I'm too tired to try to figure it out. I'll save it for when I move, maybe. Until then it's not like I have time to sit around listening to music anyway, sadly enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment